The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:21 pm 

Hi All, I was stunned today to go downstairs to do my watering and see my Gethyllis grandiflora blooming....I know it is a bit confused as it has been growing all winter and is blooming now, but I'll take it!! This is my first ever Gethyllis bloom and I was not convinced I had any chance growing these under lights in the basement to see this :D Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:30 pm 

Heinie, if you see this, could you please pass the pic around and try to confirm the ID for me....all the pics I see of G. grandiflora are pure white and this is far more beautiful than that (for me anyway) so I want to see if I can get a for sure ID on this beauty!! I'll send the pic to the person I got it from as well as they are experts on these sorts of things :D Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:29 pm 

Hi Dan:

Very nice flower plus leaves! They are really doing well under you care.

Do you have any luck with the Brunsvigia grandiflora imported last year? Mine doesn't have a single leaf so far.....

Yu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 pm 

Hi Zhenning,

Thanks, I was really excited to see it bloom as you can imagine :shock:

Unfortunately, no my Brunsvigia did not grow last summer and I simply put them in the basement with no water for the winter....I hope that since last summer they got plenty of rain and now had a dry dormancy that will get them on a decent cycle once we get warm and I can start watering them again this summer......we shall see. I also talked with one other person that ordered 4 of those last year from SA and his have not grown either...he is in southern CA where the weather should be perfect for them so that is not the best news I suppose. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed :D Dan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:08 pm 

wow. coolest plant I've seen in a while. It looks unlike anything else- almost like you put it together with a couple random things from a craft store! I read the flowers only last 2 or 3 days, I'm interested to know if it's true or not.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:25 pm 

Hi Dan:

Thanks for update. I did water mine few times over the winter, I can tell the Brunsvigia shows some root growing activity during the winter, as several new roots are now came out of drain hole... I hope some leaf growthing later this year, keeping finger crossing as you do...

Yu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 am 

Hi Kato, Yeah, it sort of looks like one of those straw flowers you see glued on to cacti in all the big-box stores!! I've also heard these are very short-lived flowers so I'll let you know.

Yu, I think I will start watering pretty soon to see if I can get them to want to grow.....there is no rot at all so I'm pretty confident.....I've actually had some bulbs from SA stay dormant for 2 years before they grow (and others never do) so hopefully this is the year for them :D Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:09 pm 

That is one very neat plant! Looks like one I'd take on since like the unusual.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:34 pm 

Dan,

Absolutely stunning.

The colour is confusing because I only know them to be cream with orange throat. I sent a photo to a knowledgable person at IBSA to identify. I will let you know when he replies to my email.

Heinie
Cape Town
South Africa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:47 pm 

luv2grdn......this is definitely one of the strange ones....the advice I got when I got my first Gethyllis a few years ago was almost never water during its winter growing season and absolutely no water during dormancy......so, if you want something that rarely needs water and is a winter grower this is a lovely plant to try :)

Heinie, On day 2 the lovely pink is being lost as it becomes more of the white that is typical, but the pink flush is still there, just not so spectacular. I would guess it is G. grandiflora, but perhaps I caught the flower at the right time before it fades.....there are so few pics of the flowers of this lovely species on the internet that I would hate to guess based on that....I did send the pic to a person in SA that I have purchased bulbs from and hope to hear back from him as well. Obviously, although I've had the bulb for a couple of years it seems confused and is blooming a bit out of season.....or that is what it wants to do in cultivation in zone 6 under grow lights in my basement.....not much to compare it to in that respect. I look forward to hearing what your friend has to say :D Dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 pm 

Dan,

Dr Alan Horstman, a well respected committee member at IBSA, confirmed that your plant is definitely Gethyllis grandiflora. He wishes to congratulate you on the growing of this bulb.

Heinie
Cape Town
South Africa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:00 pm 

Thanks Heinie!! I'm glad the ID was correct and I appreciate the good words from your friend as well :D Dan