The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:22 pm 

Last fall, I managed to kill off, through sheer stupidity, the Red Lion Amaryllis that I've been forcing each year to help with winter doldrums. Always got two nice blooming stalks from it.

So I got a new bulb this year. It took forever to get started, but the bulb still seemed firm, the top a little greenish. Figured it would wake up when it was ready. Well, it has.... There are *four* large staggered flower stalks coming out of this monster!!

The tallest and shortest ones seem to be coming from the central core of the bulb. The other two seem to be coming from two sides of the bulb. I'm wondering if this means that there are divisions of the main bulb formed where the two side flowering stalks are. But I know nothing about Amaryllis, beyond (mostly.... ) keeping them going.

Should I be looking at trying to 'divide' the bulb in late summer when I let it dry down to dormancy? Or is Amaryllis not dividable? Or maybe, it is dividable but it doesn't need to be, and I should just let it be? Should I wait to see if leaves also appear at the sides where the flower stalks are growing?

Clueless.... Help?

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:53 pm 

New bulbs will form on the side of the old bulb, kind of like a shallot or garlic with only a couple cloves. In another season they will separate more fully. I would not detach them until the offsets are outside the parent bulbs skin, and it's dormant (of course).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:18 pm 

Thank you!

That's *precisely* what I needed to know.

And for now, I'm looking forward to the great show to come :D

To find your roots, get your hands in soil. To live fully in the present, imagine your garden and make it happen. To see all of reality, spend some time sitting quietly in the garden.... Then get your hands back in the dirt.