The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:28 pm 

Finally the new bulbs have arrived and more still due!Got my order from John Scheepers last week and from Blooming Bulb just yesterday after a short stop over inGeorgia. A gfrined and I went together on an order to save more money!

Potted so far are:

LEMON & LIME
EXOTIC STAR (after potting up a small pup on its own)
FAIRY TALE
EMERALD (Cybister Hyb)
LA PAZ (Cbister Hyb)
BRIGHT SPARKS
LEMON SORBET
FAN FARE
LITTLE STAR

Not yet potted but in storage are:

ALFRESCO
ZOMBIE
NYMPH (Also getting WHITE NYMPH)
RILONA
SUSAN, these last two are humongous "mother bulbs" of two of my favorite very old cultivars.

Coming in a couple of weeks:

LUNA
MATTERHORN
GIRAFFE
EVERGREEN
RIO NEGRO
CHICO (Last three are Cybister Hybs and Chico is a duplicate because I like it so much!)

My orders were placed before I decided I really loved the Cybister Hybrids, but from now on they will probably be all I will buy other than a few specials, like H cybister! I also have a penchant for the doubles, but I am quite picky about the ones I really like! had 5 doubles and have increased that to 8, but they can really take a lot of space s the bloom stems get quite tall. I am liking the so called "greens" more and more and I also like several of the H. papilio hybrids.

I hope to begin sharing images of my collection as they bloom, probably beginning with 'Exotic Star' although several of my small bulbs and newer arrivals are ahead of it in development. So it could be 'Lemon Sorbet' with it's deep green throat and cream to white petals. At any rate I should have hippies blooming beginning in about a month and continuing until early to mid-Spring.

Rebecca

http://beccasweirdart.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:24 pm 

Was gonna start yet another new topic, and decided against it.

I do have a question for y'all species experts, especially those of you who have made species crosses and grown them out. Dan are you reading this!?

A couple of my H. stratium seedling, though not even as big as a US dime have already formed offset (ie: pups). One has 5 of them the other only 2. The one with 4-5 is on leaf #5 with 4 present. They are in a community pot, but not crowed and the potting mix is quite light and not packed down. I keep the medium moist and use a slow release fertilizer.

Thanks for you input,

Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:14 am 

Hi Rebecca, Yep, those silly striatum offset like crazy....the reason I have given away maybe 300 of them over the past 2-3 years!!!

I hope that your hybrids did well for you this summer. All of my stuff is now in the basement for the winter.......got my winter growers leafing out though so something to keep me going for the cold, dark months.

The Hippi hybrids should all be flowering soon I imagine for those that have them :D Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 am 

PA-Plantguy wrote:
Hi Rebecca, Yep, those silly striatum offset like crazy....the reason I have given away maybe 300 of them over the past 2-3 years!!!

I hope that your hybrids did well for you this summer. All of my stuff is now in the basement for the winter.......got my winter growers leafing out though so something to keep me going for the cold, dark months.

The Hippi hybrids should all be flowering soon I imagine for those that have them :D Dan

Dan,

Thank you for the quick response! You know I should have been able to remember that about striatum as you DID tell me once upon a not so long time ago! Ah senility, isn't it wonderful!? I will be watching for the others to do the same. With this in mind perhaps this species is in the lineage of Minerva, also quite predisposed to pup as are the seedlings from the cross I made using this hybrid - and at a young age!

OK, now for another question from out in left field; is there an international repository for all Hippeastrum introductions or someone who is responsible for the management of hippie registrations? or can anyone name anything whatever they want and market it as something new and unique?

I ask because I would like to find some way of possibly tracking the lineage of some of my collection, the Cybister hybrids in particular.

TIA!

Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:15 pm 

Hey Rebecca, In general anyone can name anything they want.....to officially license the name requires more effort. There was a long discussion of this on the GW a bit ago.......since I really do not grow any hybrids I really do not pay any attention to this.......just grow plants 'cause I like them and do not pay any attention to lineage.......other Hippi growers are really in to this though and as I said, there was a ton of discussion on this on the other forum over the past year, including one woman that registered a new hybrid as I recall :D Dan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:05 pm 

PA-Plantguy wrote:
Hey Rebecca, In general anyone can name anything they want.....to officially license the name requires more effort. There was a long discussion of this on the GW a bit ago.......since I really do not grow any hybrids I really do not pay any attention to this.......just grow plants 'cause I like them and do not pay any attention to lineage.......other Hippi growers are really in to this though and as I said, there was a ton of discussion on this on the other forum over the past year, including one woman that registered a new hybrid as I recall :D Dan

Although I am not crazy about joining yet another forum, I will sign up for GW so I can have another source for hybrid hippie info, but will continue to come here for species news and info ans well as other areas of interest that bring me here!

Come for the plants; stay for the people!

Rebecca

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:44 pm 

They're blooming already too!

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[center]Image[/center]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

LITTLE STAR is only a 3" bloom on a 7+" stem, max is 8", the above image shows scale as BRIGHT SPARK is a 4" bloom on a 18" stem (should only be 10 - 12, but not enough sun/light).

LA PAZ may be open by end of week and will be the first of the Cybister Hybrids to bloom this season.

Enjoy,

Rebecca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:07 pm 

One blooming now (among others):

Very strong H. papilio influences I think!

Same goes for EXOTIC STAR:

And for FAIRY TALE:

Al;though it is not as dramatic in FT as it is the other two.

Rebecca

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:48 pm 

Rebecca47 wrote:
One blooming now (among others):

Rebecca

Amazing blooms, Rebecca! I really enjoy hybrids with H Pap in them.

Here is my only pap hybrid-- an Australian bulb from Maguire's farm, H. 'Party Pooper'. I love the name!

Ryan