The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: photo help
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:43 pm 

Dan

your pix of bulbs are amazing. Can you pass on any tips / tricks for great bulb pix?

thanks

Erin (plantnutga)

Post subject: Re: photo help
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:24 am 

Hi Erin,

Well, Caudex1 (Keith) takes some truly awesome pics so he is the one to ask!!

What I do is use a 7-8 year old Olympus digital camera that is 3 MP.......an old point-and-shoot. The key for me is my pictures are taken in early morning light, never in the middle of the day.....never in bright sun. To drop out the background I used to use a piece of old black cardboard from one of my daughters school projects, but this summer splurged on a piece of black velvet cloth to make life easier. You can also simply use deep shade behind your subject which is in morning light. The concept is simple.....as long as the black (shade or cloth) is beyond the focal length of the lens being used it will drop to total black. Some people use a flash with a diffuser on a more expensive camera set-up and then as long as it is synced properly the shutter speed and focal length will work as above. So, I guess what I am saying is I put my plant in early morning sun and put something black about 3 feet behind it and then use an old clunker camera to take my pics.....wish I could say I was more sophisticated and had complicated equipment, but I'm just a hack!!!

Full disclosure.... I used to use a rather professional setup when I had an old SLR camera so am used to taking lots of pics, got used to lighting, angles, etc, but it is really easy these days so you will have no problems.......just make an easy set-up and start filling up your digital memory card :D Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:45 am 

Erin,
There are some simple tips to get great images of you plants with out spending a lot of money.
The most important is lighting this will make or ruin your image. I like natural light, morning or afternoon when the sun is low in the sky, the latter will give you a warmer tone. The most over looked factor is background, whatever you use you want color that compliments your subject. You want the background to be at least 2ft behind you subject, even further if your using and point and shoot camera since they don't do depth of field very good. You want the background to be out of focus so it does not distract you away from the plant.

This was taken using a morning sun with green foliage about 4ft behind the flower and P&S camera

I don't remember what the background was here but it was so far away and out of focus that your eye is drawn to the foliage.

If you want to do indoor photos here's an inexpensive setup, $40

and here's the result, again using a point and shoot camera

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:54 pm 

very nice Keith!! That frame looks just like the one we made for enclosing our epifluorescence microscope in the lab.......easy and works perfectly!! What sort of lights are you using? What is the material you are using as your diffuser? These two things will make a big difference I imagine. Thanks as always :o) Dan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:16 pm 

Dan,
Nothing fancy, just a couple 60w incandescent desk lamps and an ol' bed sheet.