The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cucumber Help!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:06 pm 

OK, so here I've been thumbing through recipe books for an hour and searching online, too. What a bad webmaster to forget my own little community has a place for this! I've had and even made cucumber soup in the past but can't find a recipe that sounds cool and refreshing. (Yup, the humidity finally landed here).
Can anyone help out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:09 pm 

The "Joy of Cooking", Rombauer and Becker, has 4 recipes for cucumber soup:
Bulgarian Cold Cucumber Soup
Chilled Cucumber-Herb Cream Soup
Quick Cucumber Soup Cockaigne
Quick Cold Cucumber Soup.

If any of those titles strike your fancy, I can send the recipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:42 pm 
Apart from soups & salads, my 2 favorite ways of using cucumbers are:

1) In the Indian condiment "Raita", which is simply grated peeled & seeded cucumber mixed with yogurt, a little salt, & some ground cumin. There are many variations of this, but all of them are an extremely refreshing counterpart to spicy Indian curries.

2) Believe it or not, as a cooked vegetable that goes particularly well with broiled or grilled fish. Just peel, seed, cut in bite-size pieces & saute in butter until just heated through. You can add a dash of heavy cream &/or some chopped fresh herbs to taste.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:37 am 

Thanks both of you! I have Joy of Cooking and saw those. Maybe I was just in a lazy mood when I saw the recipes in there because they didn't appeal to me. I definitely want something cold, but I'll remember the saute idea for the future. I've never done that with Cukes! I did just have Chayote for the first time. It was suggested that we cook it lightly and add a bit of salt. We tried it raw so far and it's similar to Cuke, so I guess it all makes sense. My teenagers even declared the Chayote "edible"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:26 am 
Dan - you can also peel, seed, & grate some cucumber, blot them with paper towels a bit (cucumbers have a LOT of liquid in them) & mix them with some sour cream, chopped fresh dill, salt, & pepper to taste & use it to top cold poached salmon (or any other cold fish dish for that matter).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:29 am 
On the salad front, there are also both vinegar & sour cream-based cucumber & onion salads that are very refreshing accompaniments to nearly any summer entree. I'm sure Joy of Cooking has recipes for those as well.

And have you thought of trying some homemade "refrigerator" pickles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:43 pm 

I was thinking more about soup to start with, but these sound like great ideas! I'm afraid my wife may be into the Cukes already and I'll have to wait. The poached Salmon recipe sounds awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:24 am 
Dan - I thought of you when I saved this recipe from The New York Times Food Section yesterday:

Slow-Roasted King Salmon With Creamed Cucumbers
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 large shallot, peeled and sliced
2 English cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced ?-inch thick
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
2? pounds king salmon fillet, skinned, pin bones removed
? cup chardonnay
1 lemon
? cup cr?me fra?che
1 tablespoon minced chives.
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet. Add ginger and shallot and saut? briefly, until softened. Add cucumbers, season with salt and pepper and saut? until almost translucent. Spread in a baking dish large enough to hold salmon. Do not wash skillet.
2. Place salmon on cucumbers. Pour chardonnay around salmon. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with juice of half the lemon. Cover with a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Place in oven and cook 45 minutes for medium rare, 50 to 55 minutes for more well-cooked. Because fish is slow-roasted, it will remain quite red in center.
3. Transfer salmon to a large platter with a rim. Transfer cucumber mixture to skillet and cook down for 5 minutes. Stir in cr?me fra?che and cook until sauce is consistency of heavy cream. Season with salt, pepper and remaining lemon juice. Pour mixture around fish. Sprinkle fish with chives and serve.
Yield: 6 servings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:58 am 

We enjoy this one. Takes minutes to make.

Chilled Cucumber and Fresh Basil Soup

3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seed and diced
3 tablespoons lowfat plain yogurt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
10 radishes, trimmed and sliced thinly

Put cucumbers in blender or food processor with the steel blade, process for one minute. Add yogurt, basil, mustard and lemon juice. Puree until smooth. Add salt,pepper to taste. Serve soup topped with radishes.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:08 am 

Breezy wrote:
Dan - I thought of you when I saved this recipe from The New York Times Food Section yesterday:

Slow-Roasted King Salmon With Creamed Cucumbers
Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 large shallot, peeled and sliced
2 English cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced ?-inch thick
Salt and freshly ground white pepper
2? pounds king salmon fillet, skinned, pin bones removed
? cup chardonnay
1 lemon
? cup cr?me fra?che
1 tablespoon minced chives.
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Melt butter over low heat in a skillet. Add ginger and shallot and saut? briefly, until softened. Add cucumbers, season with salt and pepper and saut? until almost translucent. Spread in a baking dish large enough to hold salmon. Do not wash skillet.
2. Place salmon on cucumbers. Pour chardonnay around salmon. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with juice of half the lemon. Cover with a sheet of parchment or wax paper. Place in oven and cook 45 minutes for medium rare, 50 to 55 minutes for more well-cooked. Because fish is slow-roasted, it will remain quite red in center.
3. Transfer salmon to a large platter with a rim. Transfer cucumber mixture to skillet and cook down for 5 minutes. Stir in cr?me fra?che and cook until sauce is consistency of heavy cream. Season with salt, pepper and remaining lemon juice. Pour mixture around fish. Sprinkle fish with chives and serve.
Yield: 6 servings.

I just had salmon last nite for dinner...I could have added some cukes. Next time since I have more salmon in freezer (YEA)

I never knew you could cook with cucumber. I've been reading old post This recipe however, calls for English, if you can cook English cucmber does anyone know if regular cucumber would cook up the same. Is English have less water or???

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

Post subject: Re: Cucumber Help!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 pm 

Dan, I'd suggest getting either a Jewish cookbook or a Medeteranian cookbook, either would be brimming with cucumber recipes.

Post subject: Re: Cucumber Help!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:41 am 

It is amazing that our local paper Wed food section has a recipe for cucumber soup. I made it 4 times this summer and each time I made it a little different. I have found that cucumber soup has so many variable. I didn't know until this summer.

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA