The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cardoon
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:44 pm 

I tried cardoon for the first time on saturday, I'd piled wood mulch 18" deep around the plants in Sept to make small cardoon 'volcanoes' in order to blanch them, which worked well. I pulled up one plant and it was white and celery-looking, cut off the roots and the green upper part then tried to 'destring' it, it wasn't very stringy. Then I boiled them for about 10 minutes and fried them in olive oil briefly. Holy cow they were bitter! So I refilled my pot with water and boiled them for about half an hour more, drained and refried. That got them to the edge of edibility, probably debittered enough that they could be used as a minor ingredient in a larger dish, like a soup or a pizza topping. They did sort of taste like artichoke, very aggressive artichoke. Perhaps they haven't had enough frost yet to sweeten up, I'll try harvesting another one in a month or two.

They are supposed to be invasive in some areas of CA, so I'm keeping an eye out to make sure they don't go to seed.

Post subject: Re: Cardoon
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:35 pm 

I've never had cardoon. It sounds like kale, in that it gets sweeter with a frost. Let us know how it is after a frost.