The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:47 pm 

Hi,
This winter I have been using bits of horseradish I dug up when it had finally frosted here in the PNW. I a keeping it in a pot with a bit of loose soil to kept it in good condition for use and so, brought some in to use with some sausages the other day and when checking the fridge for something, noticed my friend's brandied cranberries and thought to use some of that too.

While prepping dinner I ended up with the two on a single plate and found they mix very nicely. The radish does not lose its heat in the sauce of the cranberry and the cranberry is strong enough to stand along side the cranberry flavour well.

Freshly grated horseradish is sweet when compared to the mixture in a jar which is done with vinegar for preserving and seems to add bitterness to it too. So I try to keep some during the cold months for fresh use. If grating only a little, it is not too excruciating an experience; no more than a sharp onion say.

I am watching the areas where I had the radish closely for signs of new sprouts as it will grow from the smallest piece of root and I will grow it in a pot next year from the best bit I have.

D

Attachment:
File comment: brandied cranberries with fresh horse radish
PIC_1825.JPG
PIC_1825.JPG [ 182.5 KiB | Viewed 822 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:50 pm 

Vinager, most of the directions I found when I ground mine, was to use vinager to keep ground root white.

I think I'd start with small batches to see if your cranberry and horse radish hybrid darkens too much.

So my longish short answer is if you like it, its good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:57 pm 

Tomc wrote:
Vinager, most of the directions I found when I ground mine, was to use vinager to keep ground root white.

I think I'd start with small batches to see if your cranberry and horse radish hybrid darkens too much.

So my longish short answer is if you like it, its good.

Yes,
Preserved horse radish is done with vinegar.

This dish was made with cooked fresh cranberries and horse radish root, served immediately. I don't know that the flavours would do well long term as both plants have some bitterness that might be brought out with time tho maybe vinegar would kill that effect. I do not like vinegar in many foods and this combo avoids it while still having some zing to it.

I think that a little citrus rind grated on top would also be a nice addition. Maybe for xmas party this year.

I got an email mssge that this post had received a reply.....after all this time. :)
Just in time to remind me, as 'tis almost the season for many and just begun for some.

Season's greetings Josiah,
D

Last edited by Dana on Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:40 pm 

Sounds good to me - I'm a big horseradish fan. Reminds me to check my horseradish now that we've had a solid frosting. Since I don't have to water everything every couple days, it's easy to overlook things during the winter.