The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: tomato and bacon pie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:26 pm 

Yellow and red tomatoes nestled in a rich, cheesy custartd with scallion and smoky bacon bake up into our sizzling savory pie.

1 lb red and/or yellow tomatoes about 3
4 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1 cup grated gruyere cheese, 4 oz
2 scallion, chopped, 1/2 cup
2 Tbs chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper
2 sliced cooked bacon crumbled
1 frozen 9' deep dish pie crust

preheat oven to 375. Place baking sheet onc enter oven rack.
Line another baking sheet with paper towels. Cut 8 (1/4' thick) slices from tomatoes, place in single layer on one side of paper towels. Chop remaining tomatoes. Place on toher side of paper towels. Let drain while preparing filling.

in a large bowl, beat eggs and milk. Stir in 3/4 cup cheese, (same 1/4 cup for top)scallions parsley, salt and pepper until combined

Stir in chopped tomatoes and bacon. Pour into crust. Top with tomato slices, overlapping slightly.

Bake on hot baking sheet 30 minutes. Sprinkle evening with remianing 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 15-20 minutes or until center is set and cheese is melted. Let stand at least 10 minutes before serving.

Ginny's notes - I use canned cheese. I think any cheese would be good.And I use bacon bits instead of the cooked bacon. I also added 2 cloves of garlic minced or chopped fine, ( can't cook without garlic) 2 cayenne peppers (because that is what I have in garden) and I like a little heat too. (you could take out the seed of the hot pepper and just have the flavor they do that a lot on the Food Channel) Instead of the parsley I used basil and I use more than 2 Tbls too. Or you could use other herbs and a combination of. And you could subsitute regular yellow onions for scallions. You could add other kinds of vegetables too such as brocolli with the tomatoes or even just brocolli or other vegetables to your liking. To me it looks very flexible. This is my first time making it but it is a keeper.

enjoy!!!

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA