The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ratatouille tart
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:19 am 

Makes 8 servings

however, I use a pie shell and pie plate to make mine in, since I don't have a tart pan.
And this recipe tells you how to make the tart dough. However, (unless someone wants to make their own I'm not posting it until someone wants to start from "Scratch". )I use a premade pie shell.

1 1/2 yellow squash
1 1/2 zucchini
1 1/2 red bell pepper (I use whatever color available)
1/4 red onion (use whatever you have or want)
3/4 cup shredded firm chevre (goat cheese 2.5 oz) (I used chedder cheese since this is what I had available .Next time it might be a different cheese)
2 tbsp basil. ( I covered the whole bottom with basil leaves and didn't cut them up. )
I also used 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped on bottom
I also used a pinch of ground cayenne pepper I sprinkled on top
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
I also used grated parmasem cheese for top. I use a micoplane to grate mine.

Using a mandoline (what a life saving device), slice squash, zucchini, and bell peppers into rounds and onions into half moons all 1/8 inch thick. Pat vegetables dry with paper towel. Sprinkle cheese on bottom and basil over bottom.

Arrange vegetables around edge of shell , repeatedly overlapping two slices each of yellow squash, zucchini and bell pepper, follwed by three slices of onion. Arramge a smaller circle of vegetables slices inside the first cirlce. Use squash slice to cover center of tart. (again use whatever you like)

Drizzle top with oil, season with salt and pepper.I also added grated parm to top. ( used a microplane for grating the cheese. However, you could also use store bought ground parm.

I also put 2 garlic cloves, chopped finely on bottom b4 with basil and cheese, I also added a pinch of ground cayenne pepper on top (you can decide how much or not)

bake until golden brown around the edge, 30 minutes. I looked after 30 minutes and it didn't look golden brown so added 10 more minutes and it was perfect.

enjoy!!!

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA