The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: fried tomato
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:53 pm 

this recipe calls for ripe toms - i suppose you could use green though. i usually make these as a side dish. they're very nice as the main entree when accompanied by a nice, big salad and some garlic bread.

1 medium size ripe beefsteak type tomato
1 egg, scrambled, maybe a splash of milk, too, to stretch the egg out.
italian style bread crumbs
olive oil
a-1 sauce

core and then cut the tomato into fairly thick (between 1/4 and 1/2 inch) slices. dip in bread crumbs; coating all sides and then dip in the egg; coating all and then do the bread crumb dip again and then put on a large dish. continue until all pieces are coated and on the dish - do not allow them to touch. lightly cover with plastic wrap and refrig for at least 4 hours - overnight is much better.

heat olive oil in heavy pan (i use cast iron) on medium heat. oil is ready when it is 'rolling' in the pan. place the slices in the pan, not touching, and reduce heat to low. allow the slices to cook, untouched for about 5 minutes and then gently lift an edge to check doneness - this first check should have the cooking side just starting to brown up. allow to cook for another couple minutes and then check again. flip them when that side is nicely browned. you may need to add more oil before flipping the slices. cook the other side 5 minutes and then check doneness...continue cooking until evenly browned.

plate up and top with the a-1 sauce. 1 tomato will serve 2 as a side dish and 1 if used as main entree.

the key things with this recipe are to allow the coated slices to set in the fridge for a decent amount of time so the coating doesn't come off when cooking and flipping only once also helps the coating to stay attached.

1 large or extra large egg will be sufficient to coat a medium sized, maybe little larger, tomato. if you have small or medium eggs, add a splash of milk when scrambling them as it'll stretch it out some. adding too much milk makes the coating 'cake-like' so you don't want to use too much. i'll use two small eggs instead of adding milk - may have to chuck a little of it, it's worth it because they taste better when just egg is used.

if you really want to go all-out, make your own bread crumbs.

when i make crumbs, i use unseeded rye bread, bake on cookie sheet at 275 degrees until dry and then i crush them with a rolling pin in a plastic bag. i mix in the herbs i've dried (or keep on hand if i don't grow it) - basil, oregano, marjoram, garlic powder, onion powder or chives, sage, thyme, parsley. i keep the mix in the freezer and just pull it out when i need to bread something.