The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lazy fava beans
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:17 am 

Fava beans LOVE my micro-climate and I grow lots of them for soil habilitation (rehabilitation would imply it was once habitable :lol: ) They all come ripe in Mid may to early June and that leaves me to come up with things to do with them. The problem with fava beans is that they're a lot of work, first you have to shell the beans, then the bean has a waxy coat that also needs to be removed. I've found an easy way to do the latter:

Put them in a bowl with water to cover and microwave until it boils for a little bit.
That's it. The great thing is the microwave will cause the bean to pop like a potato or popcorn will in the microwave. Not that it turns into a big puffy styrofoam like thing, but the seed coat tears wide open and makes it so that when they cool you can usually squeeze them and the edible part will pop right out. Being in the water also prevents them from getting dry and mealy.

Post subject: Re: Lazy fava beans
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:25 pm 
Thanks SO much for that information. One reason why I've always shied away from Favas at our local farmers market is because of what I've heard about having to not only shell them, but skin each bean too.

Your method has given me incentive - lol! Again thanks, (& I hope you don't mind that I've copied & saved your method). :)

Post subject: Re: Lazy fava beans
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:55 pm 

Yeah, I wouldn't want to shell a whole bunch to be a significant part of a meal, a handful into a salad is okay, but past that it's best to do it in such a way that everyone peels their own beans - like crayfish or edamame. :lol: I've heard they're good grilled in the pod, but when I tried it I overcooked them. I'll try again next time I fire up the grill.