The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:37 pm 
The Ramp season is almost over, but farmers markets & some high-end supermarkets (Wegmans, Whole Foods) still have them for sale. This is a wonderful way to serve them without overwhelming people.

1 pound ground lamb (I used local free-range organic ground lamb from the farmers market)
1 small bunch of Ramps (got these lovelies just a few days ago from Wegmans), roots trimmed, rest chopped
granulated garlic
granulated onion
Worcestershire sauce
butter
extra-virgin olive oil
crumbled Feta Cheese
Fresh greens (lettuce, arugula, etc._

Combine ground lamb with solid sprinklings of granulated garlic & onion, along with a good solid 5-6 dashes of Worcestershire sauce. Form into two large patties. Heat a couple of dollops of olive oil in a cast-iron pan & cook lamb patties for 5 minutes each side for rare, a couple of minutes more each side for increasing doneness.

In the meantime, melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a non-stick pan with a dash of extra-virgin olive oil & saute ramps until just tender. Stir in crumbled Feta cheese & remove from heat.

Serve lamb burgers on a bed of fresh greens topped with the sauteed Ramp/Feta Cheese mixture.

Serves 2

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:12 pm 

what are ramps?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:28 am 

A wild garlic-like thing that grows out east. ;)

The first thing I pictured was broccoli raab. Guess because it's a fellow 'r' word. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:48 am 
Ramps are a fabulous "wild" broad-leaved member of the onion family that's only available in early spring. Pretty much just early April through mid-May around here, although some specialty stores still have them trickling in from the northern Mid-West where temps are still cooler. Sometimes they can be very strong garlic-wise - to the point where folks who heavily feast on them can actually exude a garlicy aroma through their pores!! But the ones I get locally have actually been quite mild. They're delicious as a topping for meat (like my lamb burgers), combined with fried or mashed potatoes, or sauteed with scrambled eggs or in omelets, etc., etc.

Here's a link to a Ramp farm website in WV with info & photos:

http://www.rampfarm.com/

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 5:19 pm 
Depending on your location, the Wegmans supermarket chain is currently carrying fresh Ramps. They're $12.99/pound, but since they're very lightweight & a little goes a long way, that's pretty reasonable. In fact, it's actually cheaper than many of the farmers markets around here.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:21 pm 

oh, they sound good!! i like garlic, so, ramps would be something i'd like, too!

no wegman's around here. i've never seen them in the stores here. hmm, i wonder is fresh fields or trader joe's would have them? i rarely go to either since neither is in a convenient location to me...i'd make the drive though to try these ramps, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 am 
I doubt Trader Joe's would have them, but Fresh Fields just might. If the store is quite a distance from you, you might want to phone them and ask first, especially since the season is so brief.

Here's another website that sells them - along with fiddleheads (yum!), morel mushrooms, & other wild delights. The only problem with buying them online is that because they're so very perishable, the shipping is exhorbitant. But then, I know some people who buy a lot of them, saute them up or blanch them, & freeze them for later use. This particular company - Earthy Delights - also sells jarred "pickled wild leeks", & while I haven't tried them myself (I plan to), I did send some to my mother (another onion/garlic lover), & she LOVED them. Used them in salads, as well as a martini garnish - lol!

http://www.earthy.com/Fresh_br_Ramps_Wi ... s_C267.cfm

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:36 pm 

thanks for the link!!

the fresh fields in close to where i work, so, not too inconvenient if i go by there after work. i will call ahead though and see if they have any.