The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Eggplant Parmigiana
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 pm 
As eggplants just begin to trickle into farmers markets around here, I got a hankering to start tinkering with my ongoing Eggplant Parmigiana recipe. I always change it a little every year, & always end up with a keeper. The only thing both husband & I agree on is that neither one of us cares for the breaded fried types.

Our local farmers market had a booth with some lovely early eggplants, & I scarfed two nice ones up, along with some nice early tomatoes, & developed the following. It was absolutely DELICIOUS, & I hope you enjoy it as well. Don't be scared off by the recipe length - it's really very very easy to throw together. I just tend to be verbose. :lol:

BREEZY EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA

2 medium Italian eggplants (“Black Beauty”, “Casper”, “Rosa Bianco”, “Blush” all work well)
2 large slicing tomatoes
1 large jar of your favorite pasta sauce (commercial or homemade)
1 block of firm mozzarella (like Polly-O or Sorrento)
Approx. 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese
Extra-virgin olive oil
Dried Italian seasoning
Dried crushed red pepper flakes
Dried granulated garlic
McCormack’s Monterey Grill Seasoning for Chicken

Preheat broiler. Rinse eggplant, trim off ends, & slice into approx. ½”-3/4” slices. Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet & place eggplant slices in a single layer, just touching. You will probably have to do this in more than one batch, depending on the size of your eggplants. Pour some extra-virgin olive oil into a small bowl &, using a pastry brush, brush the top sides of the eggplant slices with it. Sprinkle all with the Italian seasong, red pepper flakes, garlic, & grill seasoning. Broil for approx. 5 minutes – do not allow to burn. Remove pan, flip slices over & repeat oiling & seasoning. Broil 2nd side for another 5 minutes. Continue until all slices have been cooked, & then reduce oven to a 350-degree baking temp.

Meanwhile, with a sharp serrated bread knife, slice tomatoes thinly, & grate block of mozzarella.

In a baking dish (you can use any size all the ingredients will fit in – I usually use a 10” x 10” x 6” deep ceramic or a 12” x 7” x 6” deep ceramic baking dish, but any baking dish large enough to hold everything will work) thinly spread a light layer of sauce. Add a single layer of eggplant slices – just touching - & top with a layer of sliced tomatoes. Top with a sprinkling of grated mozzarella. Top with another light layer (approx. a tablespoon or so on each eggplant slice) of sauce, & continue layers, finishing with a final sprinkled layer of mozzarella topped with the cup of grated parmesan. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil & bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil & bake for 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven & allow to sit for approx. 15 minutes to settle.

We enjoy this with a small side of buttered pasta (like rotini), a green salad, & garlic bread (which we pop into the oven to heat after we’ve removed the eggplant to “settle”). The leftovers are terrific reheated in the microwave & served atop pasta or on Italian bread as Eggplant Parmigiana sub sandwiches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:59 am 

Mmmm...that sounds so good! TFS

Foxy.

Post subject: Re: Eggplant Parmigiana
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:41 am 

Breezy wrote:
As eggplants just begin to trickle into farmers markets around here, I got a hankering to start tinkering with my ongoing Eggplant Parmigiana recipe. I always change it a little every year, & always end up with a keeper. The only thing both husband & I agree on is that neither one of us cares for the breaded fried types.

Our local farmers market had a booth with some lovely early eggplants, & I scarfed two nice ones up, along with some nice early tomatoes, & developed the following. It was absolutely DELICIOUS, & I hope you enjoy it as well. Don't be scared off by the recipe length - it's really very very easy to throw together. I just tend to be verbose. :lol:

BREEZY EGGPLANT PARMIGIANA

2 medium Italian eggplants (“Black Beauty”, “Casper”, “Rosa Bianco”, “Blush” all work well)
2 large slicing tomatoes
1 large jar of your favorite pasta sauce (commercial or homemade)
1 block of firm mozzarella (like Polly-O or Sorrento)
Approx. 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese
Extra-virgin olive oil
Dried Italian seasoning
Dried crushed red pepper flakes
Dried granulated garlic
McCormack’s Monterey Grill Seasoning for Chicken

Preheat broiler. Rinse eggplant, trim off ends, & slice into approx. ½”-3/4” slices. Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet & place eggplant slices in a single layer, just touching. You will probably have to do this in more than one batch, depending on the size of your eggplants. Pour some extra-virgin olive oil into a small bowl &, using a pastry brush, brush the top sides of the eggplant slices with it. Sprinkle all with the Italian seasong, red pepper flakes, garlic, & grill seasoning. Broil for approx. 5 minutes – do not allow to burn. Remove pan, flip slices over & repeat oiling & seasoning. Broil 2nd side for another 5 minutes. Continue until all slices have been cooked, & then reduce oven to a 350-degree baking temp.

Meanwhile, with a sharp serrated bread knife, slice tomatoes thinly, & grate block of mozzarella.

In a baking dish (you can use any size all the ingredients will fit in – I usually use a 10” x 10” x 6” deep ceramic or a 12” x 7” x 6” deep ceramic baking dish, but any baking dish large enough to hold everything will work) thinly spread a light layer of sauce. Add a single layer of eggplant slices – just touching - & top with a layer of sliced tomatoes. Top with a sprinkling of grated mozzarella. Top with another light layer (approx. a tablespoon or so on each eggplant slice) of sauce, & continue layers, finishing with a final sprinkled layer of mozzarella topped with the cup of grated parmesan. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil & bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil & bake for 15 minutes longer. Remove from oven & allow to sit for approx. 15 minutes to settle.

We enjoy this with a small side of buttered pasta (like rotini), a green salad, & garlic bread (which we pop into the oven to heat after we’ve removed the eggplant to “settle”). The leftovers are terrific reheated in the microwave & served atop pasta or on Italian bread as Eggplant Parmigiana sub sandwiches.

I'm saving this one, Breezy. I love eggplant parm too. I'm with you I don't like the breaded type either.

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA