The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Broccoli Raab, aka Rapini
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:27 pm 
In keeping with the first fresh garden vegetables of spring, another one of my favorites is Broccoli Raab, or Rapini. I've just sown some seeds today indoors for early transplants, & will sow some directly in the garden in a couple of weeks, & then again in the fall. I LOVE this slightly bitter vegetable, & have been pleased as punch to find it available more & more in some of my local supermarkets.

This recipe I developed is one of my most favorite ways of preparing it:

SHRIMP WITH BROCCOLI RAAB & SPAGHETTI

1 pound shrimp, shelled **
1 pound spaghetti (Barilla is my brand of choice)
1 bunch broccoli raab
4 cloves of garlic, peeled & roughly chopped
Crushed hot red pepper flakes to taste
Extra virgin olive oil

In a pot large enough to cook the pasta in, fill with water & bring to a boil. At the same time add a few dollops of olive oil to a large skillet & bring to medium-high heat.

Add shrimp to skillet & saut? until they?ve all turned pink on both sides. Lower heat.

Meanwhile, depending on thickness & tenderness of stems, trim off approximately 3?-4? from the bottom of the broccoli raab & discard. Roughly slice/chop remaining portion of vegetable. When water comes to a boil, add broccoli raab & blanch for 3 minutes. With a slotted or strainer spoon, transfer broccoli raab from pot to skillet with shrimp. Add chopped garlic & crushed red pepper flakes to skillet & stir.

Add more water, if necessary, to pasta pot, bring back to a boil, & cook pasta to al dente stage & pour into a colander to drain. Add a couple of dollops of olive oil to the empty pasta pot to prevent sticking, & return drained pasta to pot. Top with shrimp/broccoli raab mixture, toss gently, & serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired.

** One package of Italian sausage (I use turkey sausage) can be substituted for the shrimp, in which case slice them into bite-sized pieces before saut?ing in the oil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:58 am 
Since cooler weather will soon be upon us (God-willing!!)& some of us might be putting in fall crops, of which broccoli raab is one, just wanted to bump this & add that last night I made a variation of it substituting a box of Barilla Plus Rotini pasta (made with whole wheat & legume flours) for the spaghetti, & a 12 oz. package of spicy Hans' All Natural Chicken & Fresh Cilantro sausages, sliced. Delicious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:07 pm 
With Spring upon us (God willing!!!!!!) & thus new crops of broccoli raab soon on the way, I found, adapted, & made a new broccoli raab recipe last night that turned out to be absolutely delicious!!

Chicken, Feta, & Broccoli Raab on Toast
(adapted from "Eating Well" magazine)
Serves 2

4 slices of frozen "Texas toast", toasted
Approx. 12 cloves roughly chopped garlic
extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise into 1" pieces
1 bunch broccoli rabe, heavy stems removed & discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces
Approx. 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat a couple of dollops of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through & no longer pink in the middle. Remove to a bowl & set aside.

Add a little more oil to the pan, add broccoli rabe, & cook, stirring often, until bright green and just wilted. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not brown, about a minute or so. Stir in tomatoes, vinegar, salt, peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are beginning to break down, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken and any juices in the bowl back to the pan, add feta cheese and stir to combine. Cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.

Place 2 slices of toast on each plate, spoon chicken mixture atop toast, & serve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:03 pm 
I'm bumping this up since I'm making the above recipe for dinner tonight - lol!!! Although I'll be subbing in infinitely healthier whole-wheat toast this time around.

Fresh greens & brassica season is upon us guys!! Enjoy them at their freshest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:45 pm 

You're making me hungry! :lol:

I just went to a nursery yesterday to order some seed. I can order it through them without the postage cost on top of it.

I think the birds got my lettuce seed, so I need to replant it. I'll have to cover it to keep them out of it. There are a few sprouts, though.

Enjoy the anticipation! :lol:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:15 am 
I'm bumping this once again as terrific Broccoli Raab is now hitting the markets around here & we enjoyed this dish for dinner Wednesday night.

Breezy wrote:
With Spring upon us (God willing!!!!!!) & thus new crops of broccoli raab soon on the way, I found, adapted, & made a new broccoli raab recipe last night that turned out to be absolutely delicious!!

Chicken, Feta, & Broccoli Raab on Toast
(adapted from "Eating Well" magazine)
Serves 2

4 slices of frozen "Texas toast", toasted
Approx. 12 cloves roughly chopped garlic
extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise into 1" pieces
1 bunch broccoli rabe, heavy stems removed & discarded, cut into 1-inch pieces
Approx. 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Heat a couple of dollops of olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through & no longer pink in the middle. Remove to a bowl & set aside.

Add a little more oil to the pan, add broccoli rabe, & cook, stirring often, until bright green and just wilted. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not brown, about a minute or so. Stir in tomatoes, vinegar, salt, peppers; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are beginning to break down, about 5 minutes. Return the chicken and any juices in the bowl back to the pan, add feta cheese and stir to combine. Cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.

Place 2 slices of toast on each plate, spoon chicken mixture atop toast, & serve.