The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kale
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:39 am 
As both spring & fall are prime "greens" season, here's a wonderful quick & easy pasta dish that is one of my very favorites for using Kale - one of my favorite greens. In fact, I made it just last night, as the local market had large bunches of gorgeously fresh-looking Kale. It serves 4-6, but I make the whole recipe for just the 2 of us & enjoy the leftovers for lunch over several days. This also works well as part of a buffet, because it tastes just as good at room temp as it does hot.

GREEK PENNE PASTA WITH KALE AND FETA

1 pound penne pasta (Barilla is my favorite brand), cooked according to package directions & drained
1 block/container of Feta cheese, chopped/crumbled
Approx. 24 Kalamata olives, pitted, & roughly chopped **
Approx. 1 pound Kale, rinsed, stems removed & discarded, & leaves roughly sliced/chopped
1 red onion, peeled & chopped
A few dollops of extra virgin olive oil for sauteeing
Dash or so of chicken broth or water
Dash of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

While the cooked pasta is draining in a colander, heat the olive oil & saute the onion until soft but not brown in the pot the pasta was cooked in. Add the kale, stir a bit, & add a dash or 2 of chicken broth or water to prevent burning. Add chopped olives & stir until kale has wilted down. Add cooked pasta, feta cheese, & crushed red pepper & stir again until pasta is heated through. Serve hot or at room temperature.

** Pitting the olives is accomplished easily by simply placing your broad kitchen knife (sharp side away from you) over each olive & briskly hitting down on the knife with your hand. Olive will break open & pit will be easy to remove.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:49 am 
Here's another Kale favorite of mine:

PORTUGUESE KALE & TURKEY SAUSAGE SOUP

One medium onion, peeled & chopped
One pound of kale, de-ribbed & roughly sliced/chopped
1-1/2 quarts or so of chicken stock (if not homemade, I usually use one carton + one can of Swanson's, or 2 cartons if I want a thinner soup)
Two medium potatoes, peeled & diced -OR- two cans of cannelini/white kidney beans, rinsed **
One package (usually 12 to 16 ounces) turkey kielbasa sausage, sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste

In a large soup pot add enough olive oil to coat the bottom & saute onion until starting to soften, but not brown. Add sliced sausage & continue sauteeing until everything is just starting to brown a little. Add chicken stock & diced potatoes (if using) & simmer until potatoes are tender - about 15 minutes or so. Add kale & continue cooking until kale is tender. (** if using beans instead of potatoes, add chicken stock & bring to a simmer. Add kale & cook until tender; then add beans & stir gently until beans are just heated thru.) Add salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste & serve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:42 am 

Another kale enthusiast here. The Greek kale pasta sounds great, I will try it tomorrow!

Here's my favourite pasta recipe with kale using edamame beans:

Pasta with Edamame and Kale

2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 large bunches kale (12 ounces), stems removed and coarsely chopped
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cups cooked and shelled edamame
salt and hot red pepper flakes
1 pound pasta
6 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Black pepper

In a 350-degree oven, toast sunflower seeds on cookie sheet 10 minutes or until lightly browned (watch closely). Set aside.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and kale; continue cooking until kale wilts, about 2 minutes. Stir in broth, edamame, and salt and red pepper flakes to taste. Simmer, covered, until kale is tender, about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling water. Cook al dente according to package directions. Drain well. Toss pasta with edamame mixture. Sprinkle with cheese, pine nuts and black pepper. Serves 4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:49 am 

And... a heavenly Italian Autumn Minestrone. Because of the long list of ingrediences it may sound labour intensive, but it's mostly prep work and it makes a huge amount, enough for freezing.

Autumn Minestrone

There are many variations on minestrone soup from different regions in Italy. What goes into the soup also depends on the season with vegetables such as broad beans in the summer and pumpkin in Autumn. It is easy to vary the ingredients to what is best when you prepare the soup, just add the quick cooking vegetables near the end of the cooking. This a hardy dish and makes a great meal on a cold night.

* 3 tbsp olive oil
* 2 onions, peeled and finely diced
* 4 garlic cloves, crushed
* 4 sticks of celery, sliced into small even pieces
* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
* 300g pumpkin or butternut squash, deseeded, peeled and diced into small cubes
* 100g button, mushrooms, diced
* 300g courgette, diced
* 2 tbsp oregano, finely chopped
* 1 bay leaf
* 1.2 litres of boiling chicken or vegetable stock
* 400g can of diced plum tomatoes
* 400g can cannellini bean
* 150g cavolo nero or kale, finely shredded and diced
* 150g very small pasta eg. gnocchetti
* 2 tbsp pesto sauce
* 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
* maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper

To Serve:

* 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 100g pesto sauce
* 100g freshly grated parmesan

Method:

1. Minestrone: Place the olive oil in a very large saucepan or casserole container over a moderate heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery to the pan and cook them gently for 5 minutes until the onion is soft and transparent. Stir in the potato, pumpkin, mushrooms, courgette, bay leaf and oregano and gently cook them for a couple of minutes, stirring them regularly with a wooden spoon.
2. Pour the boiling stock into the pan and stir in the plum tomatoes. Bring the mixture to the boil then reduce it to a slow simmer and leave it to cook gently for 30 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
3. Stir in the cannellini beans and the cavolo nero or kale. Continue to cook the minestrone for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are hot and tender.
4. Bring some water to boil in a separate saucepan and add the pasta to it. Cook the pasta until tender then strain it and set it aside.
5. Add the cooked pasta to the soup and stir in the pesto and parmesan, stir the soup so that all the ingredients are well combined.
6. To Serve: Season the soup to taste and serve the soup drizzled with a little olive oil. Place extra pesto and parmesan on the table for guests to add to their taste.

Post subject: Edamame
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:38 am 
Thanks!!

I've never had Edamame before, although I know that it's the hottest thing since sliced bread these days. This will be a good way to "get to know it".

Post subject: Re: Kale
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:53 pm 

Breezy, your recipe looks great -- I love feta and I love kale, so I'll have to try it.

Edamame are SO easy to prepare. Boil water with a lot of salt in it, put in the frozen edamame, pods and all, and cook for a few minutes (read package directions). That's it! You and your friends or family can have fun at the table popping the beans out of the shells -- they are finger food that you are actually supposed to shell at the table, if you eat them this way.

Here's my kale recipe - a simple side-dish. It's mildly sweet, so kids will sometimes eat it.

Wash your kale and put it on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, slice a few times so the kale is in large pieces. Steam kale in double-boiler until wilted but still rather vivid green. Remove from heat and drain. Mix with 1 T toasted sesame oil (in supermarket near soy sauce), 1 T sugar, and 1 T soy sauce. Adjust to taste. Enjoy!

Post subject: Dehydrating Kale
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:14 pm 

Like all your recipes. Have never tried kale and feta.

I cut kale, as well as chard, and dehydrate--in winter use for green soups. Really works well, and saves on freezer room. Use my own kale and chard, as it is orgnic.

eat well!

Post subject: Re: Greek kale recipe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:49 am 

Breezy, this was delicious! Added some garlic and toasted sunflower seeds for crunch.

Curious if you tried the Edamame?

Cheers, ij.[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:26 am 
Bumping this thread up, as winter - aka "soup days" - finally arrived here in Virginia yesterday. Temps in the 20's & a couple of inches of snow had my husband driving for 5 hours just to make it TO work yesterday morning, poor guy. By the time he got home, he was frazzled.

So I had a big pot of the above-reciped Portuguese Turkey Sausage & Kale soup waiting for him, which he appreciated. It also allowed me to pop 2 extra quarts of said soup into the freezer, where they're snuggling up next to 2 quarts of Julia Child's "French Onion Soup" (with cognac, yum!).

ijCA - did finally get a chance to try Edamame at, of all places, a Ruby Tuesday's restaurant salad bar! I did like them, so will have to pick up a fresh or frozen package the next time I'm out & experiment with them at home.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:16 am 

When I had lots of Kale I would cut up into bit size pieces, cook the kale and then cook taters. Mash taters (like you would regular), and put cut up kale into into mashed taters. It was good too. :mrsgreen:

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:22 am 

I found some volunteer kale in a weedy patch I was working in yesterday, so I'll throw some in a meat, vegie, and rice mix.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:27 am 

luv2grdn wrote:
I found some volunteer kale in a weedy patch I was working in yesterday, so I'll throw some in a meat, vegie, and rice mix.

I didn't know Kale was so versality. I'm learning a lot here. Thanks...Your a peach...NO maybe a vegetables.. that doesn't sound as good (LOL)

From the Short Estate
I'm Ginny of Ginny & Jerry Short
Little Rock, AR USA