The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:21 pm 

I just thought to post this site here as an FYI.
This site lists produce to always buy organic (the dirty dozen), produce to buy organic when $ is not an issue, and other things not to bother buying organic. In last month's Consumer Reports there is an article about this. CR also talks about why to buy, (or not), organic labeled products.
www.foodnews.org

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:59 pm 

Thanks for posting this information - it's a real eye opener. The produce section at the grocery store will definitely look different to me now! I try to support organic growers whenever possible and appreciate the fact that stores like Meijers are now carrying a bigger variety of organic products. We have a local organic grower that I buy from spring through fall, but the winter months are a bigger challenge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:41 pm 

One of our local chain grocery stores started carrying organic procuce a couple of years ago, just a small section with produce that looked like rejects from other stores, so not much of it sold. This past year they doubled the size of the section and started getting much better produce. I went in to get a red pepper last fall and found them at $5 each!! I couldn't believe it. I asked a person if that was a mistake and he said it wasn't and that it's difficult to grow ripe peppers. I told him it can't be too hard since I had several about ripe on my deck at the time. Sheesh! No other store had them that high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:43 pm 

Reading that article makes me realize why I am trying to grow my foods on my little plot of land using no pesticide and using rabbit fertilizer. And my mom says that I am "obsessed with it." Maybe, I will print this article off and let her read it.

I wanted to have a larger garden and was offered some rows in their garden but I refused them because my stepfather uses every kind of pesticide and chemical fertilizer he can find. I knew he would use it on my rows too if I planted down there. I will just have less veggies but better quality. :D

Jan

Jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:05 pm 

Interesting topic.

If we are to see pesticide free produce in our lifetimes at reasonable prices (not likely IMO) there needs to be a large scale re-education of average consumers.

Something that pesticides are really good for is producing blemish free produce.

Consumers are more or less conditioned to associate produce that isn't perfect with 'inferior' quality.

Well, would you rather eat a green bean that has a few black spots where a mexican bean leaf beetle chewed on it or a green bean that was sprayed with who knows what pesticide and has no spots?

An experience that remains in my memory after 25 or so years was going to a church retreat as a young child to work on building some buildings in a forest area.

When it was dinner time we all walked through the line and got our food. I dropped my meat on the ground accidently and there wasn't enough to replace it. One of the adult leaders who was kind of a nature type guy saw me express my disgust at the dirt laden meat. He simply said, 'here, you can have mine and I will eat yours'.

At the time I thought this incredibly gross. Today I realize his meal had more nutritional value than mine did!

Until the 'typical' consumer gets this kind of view the market will demand pesticide laden produce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:19 pm 

That is so true username. People are slowly becoming more aware, at least in my neck of the woods.
One of the farmers markets I go to has several organic farmers with great looking produce and they have no problem selling it even with the higher price of some items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 4:44 pm 

Too bad they don't have to list at the POP what chemicals have been used in production of the fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy products about to be purchased.
Our systems were not meant to process these chemicals and they build up.
I do follow that "Dirty Dozen" list now. I do pay more for some of the food..but it's my food and what I feed my children.
I am sure it costs more to have Cancer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:27 pm 

The really stupid part is that our government has set 'accetable' levels of contamination. The big money influences those decisions. I harken back to my training in the Navy while going thru nuclear, biological and chemical warfare (not using it but combatting it) The instructor was speaking of levels of containation. He stopped, closed the text and stated "There are survivable levels; and safe levels. The safe level for any exposure is always ZERO!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:23 pm 

Rain1950 wrote:
The really stupid part is that our government has set 'accetable' levels of contamination. The big money influences those decisions. I harken back to my training in the Navy while going thru nuclear, biological and chemical warfare (not using it but combatting it) The instructor was speaking of levels of containation. He stopped, closed the text and stated "There are survivable levels; and safe levels. The safe level for any exposure is always ZERO!"

What's safe for one isn't safe for another any way. People vary in how much toxic stuff they can take. I for one cant' take a lot without a reaction. Just walking down the fertilizer or pesticide aisle in a store sets me off. One of my kids is the same way.