The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:28 am 

I have been reading alot about not till soil and I am definately begininng to understand this with the help of this site and a vew others.
I have flower beds that I don't till and have even left fallen leaves on them and by this time ( March ) the worms and soil bacterai/ fungi have almost decomposed the leaves and there is an inch of organic matter on the surface that I did not put in but fell in from the old plants and it is very rich and just what I want to grow in.
I have 25 fruit trees and a very large garden area. I plant around 25 tamatoes and 10 to 15 zuk squash. I give vegetables to family,friends and elderly around me and at work.
My question is how would I water in this manner???
When I would till the soil I would make rows and water them slowly this way, about once a week.
How would I water such a large garden if I did not till the soil and built up the organic matter on top of the soil. I know I would have to water less but in California the summer gets hot and dry and believe me we have to water often from April until it rains in October.
Would a sprinckler do the trick? I know sun can damage some plants if drops of water are on the leaves ( it acks like a magnaflying glass and can burn spots in them) Plus Sqaush and cukes can get moldy leaves if they get wet.
My garden is too big to do drip irrigation for everything.
I would like to do lasanga garden to build the soil up but do I have to do this in 4'X4' rows and not walk on the garden bed and have paths, how would I water such a large place? Any ideas ? Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:28 am 

Quote:
My question is how would I water in this manner???
I use soaker hoses pretty much buried under that mulching and "trickle" soak the raised beds.

I would really consider getting some raised beds going. I think soil compaction from walking on it is just a hinderance.

All my beds are 4X8. Easy to work from both sides, and because they are also worm beds, I can cover each with one sheet of plywood if I want to.

For other garden areas, I don't see a problem with tilling if you have the machinery. Tilling in the decomping materials is OK.

Chuckiebtoo

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/