The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:16 am 

After watching a program on RFD-TV concerning synthetic fertilizers, I have a question. These new products only adhere to fertilizers being applied now- it neutralizes the negative ions allowing the chemicals to be absorbed by the plants. But, it will only be a matter of time before it's expanded to include chemicals allready in the ground, which wouldn't be a bad thing! My question- when this time comes- would it be considered organic, being as how nothing is being applied in the true fertilizer sense? Just an additive, if you will, to enhance the soil allready there! That doesn't seem to be much different then what we allready do! Think of the benefits- reducing run-off problems of phosphates and nitrates! Personally I think the future in this line of advancements is great!! Any feedback??

Last edited by truckdriverx72 on Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:50 pm 

Well...I didn't see the program, but from what you say it makes me a little nervous. It seems to me that chemicals we put in our water or soil will likely end up in our plants, and our bodies when we eat those plants.

I don't think it would be considered 'organic' any more than genetically-altered foods (which REALLY make me nervous) are considered organic.

Just my opinion, though, and I'm always willing to be educated. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:30 am 

I understand that at this current time the methods and technology being used can't be considered organic. I'm just trying to look ahead to what will probably come out of this- if it does, there's my question. After all, it's not a fertilizer per se, just an additive that bonds to the elements allready in the ground. I can't help but feel this would be a good thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:53 am 

truckdriver:

From my point of view, it's either organic, or it ain't. In this case, since it's synthetic, it ain't organic.

Also, lots of folks bring up other things to add to organic products all the time. I almost always feel that those folks usually haven't ever really seen what organics alone will do for their......whatever.

I've seen what vermicompost, and AVCT, and worms do for all plantlife and soil in my sphere of the world, and I don't need anything added. I simply can't envision better results, and I wouldn't risk damaging what me and my worms have accomplished.

Chuckiebtoo

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:50 am 

CB2- I'm with you all the way on the worm deal- this is just a thought provoking question. I agree- organic either is or not! It's just that if you're utilizing what chemicals are already in the ground by adding a synthetic, is it still organic? I'm sure we're going to hear more about this technology, in the meantime, let's go play with our worms!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:24 am 

I'm just wondering how clean is this vermicompost if the worms are fed with 'toxic' peals, printing ink from the papers, coffee grounds (how did this coffee bean grow), etc.?
I'm seriously thinking of starting a biological bin fed only with 'clean' stuff and use this compost to grow my vegetables.
If I talk to others they think I am exaggerating, meaning what you eat and drink now you are never sure it is really biological.
What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:29 am 

Felice- you bring up a good point- but then again, how far does one want to carry it? I suppose nothing is truly 100% organic if examined close enough. At least with the worms eating the breakdown of de-composition, I feel much better with a recycled product- and we all know about its attributes!