The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Codex
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:36 pm 

I garden and eat as organically as possible.
My whole family and many friends now benefit tremendously from taking a digestive enzyme complex and probiotics in supplement form. I am very proactive about my family and my own health issues. We medicate with Rx's only as a last resort. I believe in finding the cause rather than medicating the symptom. I believe that the criteria for being labeled "organic" should not be tampered with, unless to strengthen it. I believe that pharmaceutical companies would rather we not be proactive, but rather that we medicate ourselves, as it is in the best interest of their pocketbooks.
Do you know of Codex? What the Codex Alimentarius is?
http://www.fao.org/docrep/w9114e/W9114e00.htm#TopOfPage
The site below talks about what they have researched about Codex and what it may mean to us.
http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:47 am 

If any of the 17 of you who've accessed this thread have actually read about the United States Government's ongoing scheme of aiding and abetting of the disaster for every individual in this country (Codex) that is exposed @ the listed url: http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php, can someone please tell me how to view the mentioned DVD online?

This, friends, is just one more small step towards the ultimate goal (compulsion) of the complete dis-assembly of each and every one of our basic constitutionally guaranteed individual rights and freedoms.

Since we don't have many left, we oughta start paying more attention.

Maybe pay hoards of lobbyists to wine and dine and bribe our congressmen with more goodies than the corporate/industrial/military complexia in general, and the drug cartel...er, pushers, er, industry, in particular, do.

It would be cheaper in the long run.

Chuckiebtoo

Since the subject matter pertains to our food, and food supplement supplies, I consider it to be pertinent to TGF and not off-topic.

http://wormscan.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:03 pm 

CB2 and all...If you go to: healthfreedomusa.org Look to the right and you will see "Nutricide video". Click on that and you will see the same thing as what is in the DVD.
Or just click this link below:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2495233634

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 pm 

I'm watching this now, and am interested, but does anyone have a neutral source about this? This all seems more scare mongering than it does informative. I understand the passion you have about this, but it makes me doubt the importance of it, when someone takes such a doom and gloom stance on anything.

The reason I ask for a neutral source is just like I have doubts about anything CNN says about Bush, or talk radio says about the Clintons, I would like to get my information about this from somewhere other than a company, who looks to be making money off natural foods. I am not saying they will lie Per Se, but they would be benefited by leaving some truths out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:10 pm 

Safado:
Quote:
I'm watching this now, and am interested, but does anyone have a neutral source about this?

Look at Redhen's original post here (3 posts up from yours)...the other url, http://www.fao.org/docrep/w9114e/W9114e00.htm#TopOfPage, is the CODEX mantra. It ain't neutral, but when the BS is swept aside (it's about 8 pages of boring, hard reading), it's what the video is worried about.

Chuckiebtoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:12 pm 

The more I watch, the more this woman's manner makes me think she is spouting useless propaganda. Why is she stressing HARMony so much? From what I have read, I don't see much of a problem here. She is taking advantage of her audience and my own ignorance.

Let's talk facts, and forgo the propaganda.

Let's all ban DiHydrogen MonOxide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:15 pm 

chuckiebtoo wrote:
Look at Redhen's original post here (3 posts up from yours)...the other url, http://www.fao.org/docrep/w9114e/W9114e00.htm#TopOfPage, is the CODEX mantra.

Thanks. I missed that until after I had posted. I am trying to drag my way through it, but as you said, it isn't the most lively of reading material.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:04 pm 

Quote:
The more I watch, the more this woman's manner makes me think she is spouting useless propaganda.

Safado and all...A friend gave me the "Nutricide" DVD to view.
I only watched a small bit of it the first time. I went to the healthfreedomusa.org site and was also a bit put off by the "spouting" that I perceived.
I have read ,over the last few years, how big businesses were trying, (ie Walmart), to cash in on the "organic labeling", articles much like this:
Quote:
What is with Organic and why are you becoming skeptical of it?

USDA certified-

USDA organic stamp (the one you see all over) is a maze of details, and, while certainly better for you and our environment, does not necessarily imply sustainable at all. There are many things the USDA deems organic, that many people think is either still bad for you, or just not organic. For a single item with the USDA organic tag (lets say an apple) it means that the apple is at least 95% organic. For a product with mixed ingredients (like say, cereal) to say 100% USDA organic, means just that. For a cereal to have only the USDA organic label, then at least 95% of the cereal is organic. The cereal can also say be made from organic ingredients (without USDA stamp) if 70% of it is organic. There is also some new amendment to the law that says something to the effect that if a certain ingredient or product needed can not be found on the commercial market as organic, then the producer can replace it with a conventional product/ingredient and not effect the USDA organic stamp. I read this on the USDA consumer help webpage. It gets all too confusing, because these laws are heavily influenced by the food industry (as well as the pharmaceutical industry, and chemical industry, etc?) so all kind of legal term loopholes come up. You may have one vote, but big business has money and lobbies. I know it sounds like paranoid leftist rhetoric, but, admit it, it?s true.

The following is taken directly off the USDA's consumer friendly explanation on their website.

What is organic food?

Organic food is produced by farmers who emphasize the use of renewable resources and the conservation of soil and water to enhance environmental quality for future generations. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are given no antibiotics or growth hormones. Organic food is produced without using most conventional pesticides; fertilizers made with synthetic ingredients or sewage sludge; bioengineering; or ionizing radiation. Before a product can be labeled "organic," a Government-approved certifier inspects the farm where the food is grown to make sure the farmer is following all the rules necessary to meet USDA organic standards. Companies that handle or process organic food before it gets to your local supermarket or restaurant must be certified, too.

Unfortunately, the fist sentence is misleading. Plenty of organic food in this country is not from sustainable farms using such methods, nor are they even farmers who are growing them. It is quite different then what we, normal people, would think organic should mean. But like any commodity, what we want is not what is actually happening. Sure, there is the argument ?well at least it is not polluting the land as much, and is healthier than conventional?, but how much longer are we going to settle for the lesser evil? Big time organic companies will point out the positives of their product (like I would too). But, can we still believe them? Others suggest that this is the only way to feed so many people. But, why not 10 farms on a 1,000 acres instead of one company on 1,000 acres?

Quote:
Why is she stressing HARMony so much?

I believe now, she is mad as heck and trying to make a point.
Quote:
From what I have read, I don't see much of a problem here.

Big business/"lawyer-eese" make their fortunes from flying in under the radar, and getting their business done.
Quote:
She is taking advantage of her audience and my own ignorance.

My sole reason for the post is to raise awareness. I am not an alarmist by any means. I went back and watched the whole video. I read through Codex's site.
If you do a search about any parts of this subject you will get a lot of information, like the site below:
http://www.goeboston.com/faqsinfo
I do not know if there is a neutral source in matters like these. I do believe this is a very serious subject and I am going to do everything I can to understand what it is all about. It's our food, folks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:19 pm 

Take a look at this:
http://playtoh.wordpress.com/2007/01/03 ... mentarius/

I am doing research here about this subject and am just trying to make the information visible for all to see and decide about for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:57 pm 

It's been ages since I brushed up on what it means to be "certified organic", but I feel I can add what I would have had to go through in the '90's in Oregon.

I owned a commercial rabbit processing plant, and purchased rabbits from all over the PNW. I was also USDA inspected for a period of time, as we successfully marketed our products throughout the US, Canada, and to cruise lines. We even shipped to South Korea.

Now, to be considered "organic", the rabbits we got would have been to fed certified organic pellets. That means the alfalfa would have had be raised organically.

For the alfalfa to be certified organic, the farmer would have to prove the soil had NOT been amended with "commercial fertilizer for three years PRIOR to planting the said alfalfa crop.

He also would not be able to use any kind of weed control, or pesticide other than what is deemed "natural and organic".

In addition to all that the animals could not receive any kind of pro-biotic, or prophylaxis. Of course, with rabbits, that's pretty much a waste of time and money.

While we could be termed "natural" because we did not medicate the animals in any way, we could not gain the term "organic" because of the feed issue.

INMHO, the ONLY way to ensure your food is organic, if that is what you want, is to raise it yourself. Once it has gone to a processor, and it has been processed, it may still be organic, but may not be nearly as nutritious.

Remember. Organic does not equal nutritious. Neither does natural or processed. The only things that mean nutritious are related to freshness... and that means close to the source, as in your back yard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:32 pm 

While a UN organized food standard may well fall short of our own local legal (and personal) standards, everyone must also realize that any standard is better than nothing in poor countries where people are still dying of hunger, malnutriation and tainted food/water on and all too regular basis.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:37 pm 

promethean_spark wrote:
While a UN organized food standard may well fall short of our own local legal (and personal) standards, everyone must also realize that any standard is better than nothing in poor countries where people are still dying of hunger, malnutriation and tainted food/water on and all too regular basis.
This CODEX thread has little, or nothing, to do with what you've mentoned, but to the extent, however minute, that it could be thought it does, holding those malnourished third world countries, who need rice and flour (staples), and don't care how it is grown or if a nutritional imbalance exists in it, to the same standards as countries with things like, oh, electricity, and wide-spread refrigeration for example, is.....stupid.

Standardized rules and regulatons, mandated by some sort of World Food Big Brother, will just keep those people starving, or, will cause all foods worldwide to be poorer.

Such governmentally strong-armed rules and regs would wind up, in actuality, being like the "No Child Left Behind" program in the good ole USofA where the class is held back for the "good" of the lagger(s).

Chuckiebtoo

In every case where insistence is upon all things, or beings, or availabilites, or opportunities, etc being equal, the equality always comes at the expense of the qualities of all being lessened.

Just like trickle down economics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:00 pm 

>holding those malnourished third world countries, who need rice and flour (staples), and don't care how it is grown or if a nutritional imbalance exists in it, to the same standards as countries with things like, oh, electricity, and wide-spread refrigeration for example, is.....stupid.

It's not when you want to trade said staples between these countries safely. The codex attempts to set a certain minimum standard that producers can meet, label the food as being compliant and then be able to export it to a large number of countries, as an alternative to meeting individual countries requirements on a case-by-case basis. This streamlines the trade in food and besides helping it get it where it's needed also creates more opportunity for imporverished people for whom agriculture is one of the few available sources of employment.

It's not surprising that various people would find parts of the standards troublesome, for whatever reason, and certainly commercial farming in the developed world is threatened by anything that makes international trade in food easier.

If anyone wants, they can read the 52 page section covering organic food practices and labeling here: http://www.codexalimentarius.net/downlo ... G_032e.pdf
It's got all the usual organic requirements, such as not using hormones or preventative antibiotics on livestock. Near the top it also states that any member country may exceed the standards if they want. Thats a far cry from the above FUD that suggests the codex mandates(?) the use of anti-biotics and hormones, ect. Why are those people lying?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:37 pm 

Promethean Spark:

Your supposition that the several of us who've contributed to this thread haven't researched the subject material seems, I hate to say, a little contrived, if you know what I mean.

promethean spark:
Quote:
If anyone wants, they can read the 52 page section covering organic food practices and labeling here: http://www.codexalimentarius.net/downlo ... 0/CXG_032e

Of course, we DID read it........the entire Codex Ailmentarius.

Earlier in the thread, RedHen::
Quote:
Do you know of Codex? What the Codex Alimentarius is?
http://www.fao.org/docrep/w9114e/W9114e00.htm#TopOfPage

And we read this, which you should do if you haven't:
http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/index.php
as well as other, more current updates to the ongoing, and, sooner than you know it, upcoming "conspiracy".

What we have yet to read is how the old (1960) CODEX's worthless pap will be molded into another governmental crunch and usurption of individual freedoms for the betterment and welfare of big bidness/gov't, which are already melded into one horrible monster as it is now.

The interpretations of the between-the-lines truths regarding this are far more consequential than any perceived lies.

promethean spark:
Quote:
The codex attempts to set a certain minimum standard that producers can meet, label the food as being compliant and then be able to export it to a large number of countries, as an alternative to meeting individual countries requirements on a case-by-case basis

That's just what the code admits to doing. That's the front that'll be used to include FOOD SUPPLEMENT and DRUG and CHEMICAL addendums and add-ons, and transformed, that little insignificant CODEX will become a whole nother thing...kinda like riders...hidden in small print... in bills that Congress passes authorizing boondoggles like the "Bridge to Nowhere", etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Chuckiebtoo

Your handle, promethean, would seem to imply great creativity and intellect. The spark part; would that be the beginnings of it?

Oh shucks, PS, just kidding. Consider every one of those good-natured emoticons pasted right here.

Post subject: The issue
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:23 pm 

Codex draws a different line between 'food' and 'medicine' than does US law, and the main complaints are about the products that fall between the US OTC medicines and the Codex recognized foods. Currently in the US this line is arbitrary. St. Johns wart is food, aspirin (a natural product) is medicine, echinacia is food, pennicillin is medicine. Artificial products such as saccharine are food, while ibuprofin is medicine. Ephedrine was available as food, but now only as medicine. Codex defines food more conservatively (and precicely) by excluding products of theraputic dosage or intent as being beyond their scope.

This does not ban anything, it just says you can't sell it as food. A little legal change in the product category from 'dietary supplement' to 'health supplement' or 'herbal remedy' and such products would be good to go. Even without such a category, such products could be sold for incence, potpuri, ceremonial, whatever purposes as long as they aren't sold as food or medicine.

If there wasn't costs and controversy with stuff like this, a food standard would already be in place. We certainly can't expect it to fit seamlessly with existing regulation. Rather than foaming at the mouth and ranting about evil plots to sicken the population, it would be better to argue that we stand to lose US buisnesses and jobs if regulations aren't drafted to provide a legal basis for products in the current food code that are not covered by codex. It's certain that something will be done, just a matter of wether it'll be the same, worse or perhaps even better than the current paradigm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:58 am 

The one absolute certainty in all this is that when the government asylum inmates are thru with it all, everything will cost the consumer lots more money, drug companies will be wallowing in even more lucre, their lobbyists will have nice little bonuses coming, and wined, dined, and bribed congressmen will have had their pockets lined as well.

Chuckiebtoo

Post subject: not everyone bad wins
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:24 pm 

Reduced barriers to agricultural trade will pose significant harm to corporate farming, so not all the bad guys win. There's an allowance for organic foods, so if you don't like the pesticides or hormones in the 'standard' food, you can always go organic.

Certainly it'd be nice if an organic jelly producer in the PNW could sell their product worldwide with the organic label, and that being qualified for sale in the US means you're qualified for export to most other countries without much paperwork or lawyers involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:53 pm 

The big, bad guys ALWAYS win. The end-users always pay. The marketer never pays anything...just passes the costs on.

As far as organic is concerned, the very subject being discussed here makes allowances for non-organic inclusions in "organic" products.

In actuality, you'll be paying the premium prices for "organic" when it just ain't necessarily so...and probably fairly surely not, because producers will take the short cuts...both financially, and for things like preservatives for shipping, for just one example.

The only way to be assured of organic-ness is to produce it thyself.

Chuckiebtoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:01 pm 

Status of the Codex Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements (in Canada)

The Codex Alimentarius Commission adopted the Draft Guidelines for Vitamin and Mineral Food Supplements at its 28th Session, July 4 - 9, 2005 in Rome. The Guidelines deal only with vitamins and minerals and are not applicable to other natural health products or to alternative medicines.

The Guidelines provide guidance on composition, including criteria for establishing minimum and maximum levels, packaging and labelling, so that vitamin and mineral food supplements will be safe, efficacious and labelled in a clear and non-misleading manner to ensure safe and informed use. The Guidelines do not stipulate any maximum limits on vitamin and mineral levels, the setting of which remains the prerogative of national governments.

Section 1.3 of the Guidelines stipulates that they are for use only in those countries that regulate vitamin and mineral supplements as food. As Canada regulates vitamin and mineral supplements as natural health products, the Guidelines are not applicable to the Canadian regulatory system. The manufacture, importation and sale of vitamin and mineral supplements and other natural health products in Canada will not be affected by the Commission's adoption of the Guidelines. Such products will continue to be regulated in Canada by the Natural Health Products Regulations under the Canadian Food and Drugs Act.

(from the Health Canada website.)

The vitamin/supplement bit is covered. For now. Unfortunately, it looks like I've got a lot of reading to do to see what else they're messing around with.

Thanks for the heads up.

LB

Post subject: Kevin Trudeau
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 11:57 am 

Wasn't real sure where to post this one but thought I'd start here. I believe it kinda relates to this. Recently I was given a book by Kevin Trudeau. My friend has completely jumped on the band wagon with this one. I have started the book but since I am so early into it I thought I would get other opinions. Anyone else read his books? Have any thoughts? Sounds like the codex theory to me and makes sense. (A lot of things work and make sense in my head tho, then reality strikes, lol)
Sharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:48 am 

Be careful with this guy

This despite a two-year stint in federal prison in the early '90s after pleading guilty to credit card fraud
http://dir.salon.com/story/books/featur ... index.html
alot of complaints
http://consumeraffairs.com/health/trudeau.html

I haven't read one of his books, so I have no judgement as to the validity. I suspect some of it's true and some exaggerated. I like to cross reference many sources before deciding, some favorites online;
http://www.pfaf.org/database/index.php
http://www.swsbm.com/HOMEPAGE/HomePage.html
http://www.rosenthal.hs.columbia.edu/Botanicals.html
http://www.motherearthliving.com/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:51 pm 

I'm confused, it doesn't sound like they're concerned about real food and nutrition, are these guys worried that they may find it harder to overdose on supplements and herbal remedies?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am 

been commodified?
but more people must become aware of it or we will
have no chance to stop it. The Codex issue can't be accurately seen in isolation.
It must be seen in this broader context, then all of this madness makes "sense."
You can't fight evil unless you can first SEE what it is that you're trying to
oppose.

At 05:18 PM 6/7/00 -0600, you wrote:

Dear Dr. Scarbrough,

This is to inform you that the American public is becoming aware of the

Codex proceedings affecting our rights for self determination to have

access to vitamins,minerals and other natural substances in order to

maintain and preserve our health. Why do you and other government

bureaucrats who are supposed to defend and protect the rights of those

you serve want to deprive us of the basic means to help ourselves to

stay well and healthy?
http://www.apfn.org/apfn/population.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:43 am 

Oh dear, it's obviously too complicated and scary for me to comprehend... oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:24 am 

yeah, why waste our beautiful minds on that, don't they have robots and think tanks for that. Comprehension is way too comprehensive for human abilities, anymore.

Codex data
This is one of the clearest explanations of Codex I've received so far.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
excerpt
http://oneflynangel.com/codex.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:21 am 

Well, if someone else has already wasted the time and can share their findings then it makes no sense for the rest of us to bother, especially when it's of such questionable importance.

Ah, so that confirms it, this is only of interest to the individuals who self medicate with massively over the top doses of supplements, AFAICT this isn't evil legislation to stop me eating fruit and vegetables, Megavitamins FTW!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:48 am 

FROM THE "LAND OF THE CLUELESS AND CONNIVING," meet a couple of gentlemen who insist that America's political funding system is working splendidly. They report that there's absolutely nothing going on between the money interests and our lawmakers in Washington that should trouble our fuzzy little minds.
http://www.hightowerlowdown.org/node/1210

This is the behavior of a government in tyranny, inviting a revolution by the people. It is noteworthy that fascist governments of the past have eliminated health freedom and health options as a necessary condition to enslave and brainwash a population. Congress has delegated its responsibility to the people to such an extent that over half the laws in this country are now concocted by unelected bureaucrats with vested interests.
http://www.americanchronicle.com/articl ... leID=30870

health foods should be regulated differently than drugs and that any regulation recognize the product’s “wide margins of safety” and the freedom of informed individuals to have free access to the products of their choice for self-care.

I think it’s safe to assume the problems aren’t health related.
http://commonground.ca/iss/0707192/cg19 ... food.shtml

Clemons and other analysts believe that most tanks do not start out acting as shills for lobbyists, but that it is nearly impossible for small and financially strapped organizations to resist the money involved.

http://www.upi.com/inc/view.php?StoryID ... 5113-4829r

1. No dietary supplement can be sold for preventive (prophylactic) or therapeutic use;
2. No dietary supplement sold as a food can exceed potency (dosage) levels set by the commission. Dietary supplements of higher potency will be sold as drugs and sold by the pharmaceutical or phytopharmaceutical companies. Supplements without an RDA (e.g. Coenzyme Q10) would be illegal to sell because they would all become drugs;
3. Codex regulations for dietary supplements would become binding (the GATT escape clause would be eliminated);
4. All new dietary supplements would be banned unless they go through extensive Codex testing and approval.

How else will they monopolize unpatentable botanicals? This will automatically restrict access and elevate prices. Expensive prescription only or expensive over the counter drugs will replace the present inexpensive, free availability of herbs, botanicals, vitamins and minerals. The German proposal is supported by the drug giants Hoechst, Bayer and BASF, the three daughter companies formed when the Nuremberg War Trials disbanded the IG Farben Cartel of Nazi Germany. These companies are the ones now pushing the hardest to prevent access by the public to nutritional supplements.
http://www.consumerhealth.org/articles/ ... 0303190257

Trade organizations and think tanks[55] Some of the trade and policy organizations in which Bayer participates include:

* Agricultural Biotechnology in Europe (http://abeurope.dynamicweb.dk/)
* American Chemistry Council (http://www.americanchemistry.com/)
* American Medical Association (http://http://www.ama-assn.org/
* Bilderberg Group
* Biotechnology Industry Organization (http://www.bio.org/)
* British Society of Plant Breeders (http://www.bspb.co.uk/)
* Business Action for Sustainable Development (http://basd.free.fr/)
* Codex Alimentarius (http://www.codexalimentarius.net/)
* Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (http://www.cgiar.org/)
* Council for Biotechnology Information (http://www.cast-science.org/)
* EuropaBio (http://www.europabio.org/)
* International Chamber of Commerce (http://www.iccwbo.org/)
* International Council of Chemical Associations (http://www.icca-chem.org/)
* International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations (http://www.ifpma.org/)
* Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (http://www.phrma.org/)
* Transatlantic Business Dialogue (http://www.tabd.com/)
* Transatlantic Economic Partnership
* United Nations Environment Program (http://www.unep.org/)
* United Nations Global Compact (http://www.unglobalcompact.org)
* United States Council for International Business (http://www.uscib.org/)
* World Economic Forum (http://www.weforum.org/)

Campaign contributionsIn the U.S., Bayer PACs contributed $834,000 to candidates for federal office between 1996 and 2002.[56] In 2000, Bayer made $93,580 in soft money donations to the Republican party.[57] Bayer employees also made $26,376 worth of direct donations to candidates for federal office in 2002.[58] In 2004, the company contributed $37,000 to House Democrats, $129,500 to House Republicans, $25,000 to Senate Democrats, and $62,000 to Senate Republicans.[59]
http://www.panna.org/campaigns/caia/cor ... er.dv.html

What is a climate disinformation activist and former Cheney speechwriter doing as #2 at DOE Science?

Jeffrey Salmon is the Associate Under Secretary for Science at the U.S. Department of Energy. Prior to moving to DOE, from 1991-2001 he was Executive Director of the George C. Marshall Institute, a key actor in the global warming disinformation campaign. In 1998 he participated in the development of a now-notorious oil industry-sponsored plan to wage a campaign against the mainstream science community on global warming. Before that, he was senior speechwriter for Dick Cheney, when Cheney was Secretary of Defense. The Office of Science oversees roughly $4 billion a year in DOE-supported research, including a roughly $140 million climate change research budget. What does Salmon do in this position—for example, on matters of climate change research, assessment, and communication?

Some background:

ExxonSecrets briefing sheet on the Marshall Institute:
http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/orgfactsheet.php?id=36
from
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/inde ... ey_salmon/
http://www.climatesciencewatch.org/index.php/csw/C25/

Wolfowitz Returns Home To Neoconservative Think Tank AEI

Former World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz — who resigned last month after being embroiled in a corruption scandal at the World Bank — announced that he has found a comfortable landing pad from which to continue...
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/29/wolfowitz-aei/

As the toll mounts from U.S. political scandals, think tanks have provided new homes to some of the fallen. The Hudson Institute has appointed I. Lewis Scooter Libby as "a senior adviser." In October 2005, Libby resigned from his position as Assistant to the President and Chief of Staff to Vice President Dick Cheney, after being indicted on five counts including obstruction of justice. "Libby will focus on issues relating to the War on Terror and the future of Asia. He also will offer research guidance and will advise the institute in strategic planning," the think tank stated.
http://www.prwatch.org/node/4359

I think it should be OK to list all think tanks here.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?ti ... hink_tanks

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Democ ... watch.html
http://www.nira.go.jp/ice/nwdtt/2005/index.html