The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Beneficial Nematodes
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:37 am 

Has anyone used beneficial nematodes to help control the japanese and june bug beetle larvae in their yards? Do they really work and are they more effective and faster in their action than milky spore? I am considering ordering some this spring since we get overrun by both types of critters in the summer and I would prefer not using diazinon granules or whatever is in GrubEX to get rid of the critters.

Following is a link to the place I am considering ordering the nematodes from:

http://www.hydro-gardens.com/guardian_lawn_patrol_nematodes.htm

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:41 pm 

Hi, nckvilledude,

I'm new here, but not new to beneficial nematodes! :wink:
DH & I have used milky spore as well. MS (IMO) took too long to see any significant decrease in grub activity. But, the nematodes (which I ordered from GardensAlive! several years ago, acted that season. (They've now got BN's specifically designated for the south and for the north). Because they're expensive, we only concentrated on those areas that had the most activity. While the adult larvae (jap.beetles) are still around, they are definitely not as plentiful as they used to be. Plus nematodes, target a lot more subterrainean pests, unlike MS which only concentrates on Jap.Beetle grubs.

Your BN source seems fine, but just as an fyi, here's a whole passle nematodes suppliers

Under the heading of "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Beneficial Nematodes But Were Afraid to Ask" :shock: There?s two different genera or ?families? of nematodes and between them they broken down to about half a dozen species or ?kids?, apiece. Each family and each ?kid? target specific pests. Nematodes also are formulated in a variety of ways. IOW, they can be mixed in liquid concentrates, gels, sponges, vermiculite. How they are formulated and which species is involved will determine how long they can be stored in the fridge prior to dilution if you can't use them right away. But, each manufacturer should supply you w/that information.

The most common species included in all formulations is S.carposapsae. Mainly because it targets the most insects. If it?s formulated in a liquid concentrate, for example, it?ll keep (undiluted of course) in the fridge for possibly a couple of weeks. If it?s formulated in a sponge, then you?re looking at possibly 3 months of storage there. If it?s a gel in which they arrive, then possibly 6-9 months! Most reputable places will inform you of how "fresh" theirs are. That way you can include the days they've had them plus how long delivery takes, when you make your calculations for storage.

Oh, and if that wasn?t enough minutia nematode trivia?how about this for your next garden get-together conversation: these different genera and species of nematodes are classified as either ?cruisers? or ?ambushers?! The cruisers, as their name implies, are keen on tailgaiting those faster more mobile insects. They can also be distinguished by their black leather jackets and teeny motorcycle boots. :lol: While the ambushers are more laid back and prefer just lying in wait for the slow poke insects who are out for a leisurely stroll. You can easily identify the ambushers by their great tans and cool shades. 8)

Good luck with the BNs and the grubbies. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:43 pm 

Gardenz thanks for the beavy of info on beneficial nematodes. I had heard some not so positive things about milky spore and did know that it would take time to work but had heard that the nematodes work instantaneously--that is once they get into the soil and find the pesky nematodes. I also have heard that they work on termites also which would be an added plus for me living in the south. I will concentrate on the info you have provided and digest it. Thanks again for your help and information. :wink:

Miguel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:41 am 

I used nematodes (from GardensAlive!) I think maybe five or six years ago and this year have found a few grubs and had a very few bumbly beatles blunder into the house, so I guess it's time to use them again. I see the new formula for the south targets a whole paragraph of pests, including fire ants. Now that's a pest I'd love to see less of!

Post subject: Re: Beneficial Nematodes
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:53 am 

I have used and it seemed to work temporarily. But seems like they come back.