The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Insect Control
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:18 pm 

This spring I planted a long row of peas. I soaked them before planting so they'd get a head start. After not seeing many sprouts after a couple of weeks, I started uncovering some of the seeds and found several insects feeding on the outer part of the seed. I suspected they were wire worms, but the pictures I found weren't the same. The other day I went out to see if I could find any of them, even though the seeds were mostly gone and all I found were some millipedes. There were a few sprouts that were cut off at ground level, but the sprout hadn't been eaten. I did see that they will feed on them and now I need to find a way to lessen the numbers without killing the earth worms. DE was suggested, but it would affect the worms. I thought that maybe I could soak the seeds in something that would repel them, but have no idea what. Any thoughts? I've haven't had hardly any pest problems here and we made this raised bed last year to keep out deer, rabbits, moles and birds, so I wonder if blocking the birds allowed them to multiply more. I think I'll pull back the netting to let them in for a while. It's very frustrating after my plans to stock the freezer with them. It was about a 16' row and not one made it. I haven't been able to grow them here before, because birds or some other animal would always get them.

Post subject: Re: Insect Control
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:54 pm 

I think the birds definitely help.
Tried wood ashes? I'm going to try some this year.
Saved some from the wood stove, Hoping to reduce some of the
bugs I share the garden with.
I know the frustration feeling.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:17 pm 

Wood ashes for millepedes ? I've never used wood ash for pest problems, but I haven't had a need before, so I'll have to look into that. I'll have to ask my neighbor for some, though. I have millipedes around all the time, so I wonder why so many went after the seed. Maybe just the lack of birds or maybe they were in the leaf mold that I mixed into the soil when we made the bed, but the bed was open all winter, so birds had a good chance to get them, but maybe they're not liked. Who knows!

How are you garden plans coming along?

Thanks for your suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 pm 

Saved some wood ashes to try this year too. Have high hopes for slowing down the slugs &
some other pests.

Got some seeds started in the GH. lettuce & the cole plants.
Squash & other stuff, I'll seed in pots next week.
GH still gets cold at night & ran out of room in the soil box that I cover &
keep warm at night.
Garden still froze & the thawed 1" of mud on top makes it uninhabitable by humans
for another week. Snow finally gone though.
Fancy garden compost bin thawed too, so have lots of seed starter soil &
soil to top off the garden raised beds. Middle of next month, should be a busy time
I hope.
Saw a mosquito yesterday, so spring is officially here. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:34 pm 

I did plant peas once again with wood ashes and they're growing fine now. I don't know if it was the ash or if the bugs moved on since there was nothing left to eat. Either way, thanks for the suggestion! :) I'm just glad they're growing. Now I need to plant some bush beans before it gets any later. It has been staying warmer now, so they should take off. It was too wet and cool just a couple of weeks ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:42 pm 

I wouldn't be surprised it Dave's suggestion didn't work for you, Luv2. Wood ashes will also protect carrots and radishes from wire worms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:49 pm 

I had an attack on my onions with root maggots. I added about 1/16 inch of wood ashes.
Saw several flies very interested in the onions, I'll know soon if it worked. Have lost about 6 onions, if more start dying, I was either too late or flies like wood ashes. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:10 pm 

I should've planted some without the ashes to see, but it won't hurt anything to just add them from now on. Maybe I should use some when I plant the beans too.

Dave, hopefully it will save your onions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:03 pm 

I just put the ashes in the trench and mixed it in a little, then added the seed. I planted some beans a few days ago and did the same with them, so we'll see how they do.