The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:19 pm 

Slugs were starting to take a nip at my pepper plants so I decided to try a homemade remedy. Mixing dry yeast with sugar and water. I set out three small containers with mixed results. 1 container had 10 slugs after 2 days and the other two had none. The container with slugs was made of plastic and the others glass so that might me the issue. I am switching over to all plastic tonight to see what happens.

Here is my question...... Should I leave the slugs someplace where the birds can eat them? It is my understanding the slugs drown in my yeast mixture but I wouldn't want to harm any birds which might ingest these dead guys. I just throw my first batch into the woods.

Thanks....

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 pm 

I wouldn't leave it where birds could eat it. I wouldn't think the yeast would be good for them if it's still active. Others may have different thoughts, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:11 am 

Yeast won't hurt you, it's in beer! ;) Yeast doesn't grow well in high sugar concentrations (sugar in large amounts acts as a preservative). If the yeast is supposed to be alive and vigorous, I wouldn't use more than about a teaspoon of sugar to a cup of water. Pure sugar is also a poor diet for yeast (only junkfood), you could throw in a pinch of oatmeal and that will balance out their diet with nutrients.

You could try the same thing with a dab of yogurt or sour cream, those contain lactobaccillis which will also eat the sugar and might smell like yummy decomposing stuff to slugs and snails.