The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: new to organic
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:27 pm 

i'm looking for a fert that i can do myself or even a good one to buy at the store. i live in an apartment and have no room to make a compost pile or bin.. i have been messing around with growing veggies in containers which is so far so good my sprouts look great! BUT because they are in pots i want to make sure i keep the soil good for them! please any tips would be great!

Post subject: Re: new to organic
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:38 am 

I like Dr. Earth fertilizers and have used them for several years. There are other brands about the same, but I've never tried others. http://www.drearth.com/

I also use a fish and kelp liquid fertilizer. Good stuff!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:06 am 

where to you get a fish and kelp fert? is it something you make?

i was reading online last night about blending your scraps in the blender and then mixing it with equal parts water and useing it for your house plants...? have you ever done this? :idea: :?: :!:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:29 pm 

It's available in various places. Here's one I've used, http://www.downtoearthfertilizer.com/liq_fish.html This company has been around a long time, always stressing organics. You can do a search and come up with more.

No, I've never made or used scrap 'soup'. I'd think it would get smelly eventually, but if you try it, let us know what happens. I have used water that I've soaked stinging nettles in, though, but can't say if it helped or not. One year I put in a bubbler (used in fish tanks) and let it brew and it seemed to help.

Mother Earth News is a good magazine to learn from. Organic Gardening may be useful, although I don't think it's nearly as good as they used to be.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:45 am 

While growing without chemicals is trendy now, it's been around since ancient times. It was the only way to farm. Good Luck!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:02 am 

Organic agriculture respects nature and its vitality. It aims to create an ecologically safe system of food production. It is a comprehensive approach that aims to create sustainable eco-system, safe food, animal welfare and better livelihood opportunities for farmers.
Organic agriculture covers all kinds of food and fiber production system and can be defined as chemical free farming system with an objective to produce food of high nutritional value.

Many different natural elements can go into the creation of organic fertilizer. Animal manure is a common ingredient in both commercial and home prepared blends. Rotten produce, bone meal, and the decomposing plants removed at the end of the season can also be chopped or ground in to small particles for inclusion in the fertilizer. Essentially, any matter that is of natural origin and subject to decomposition is a good candidate for inclusion in the product.