The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lipton's New Tea Bag
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:32 pm 

I recently purchased some Lipton Wild Berry Tea for my ice tea. This is one of their "Premium Pyramid Teas." I was shocked to see the tea bags were the NYLON mesh pyramid shapes. Lipton's website goes on & on about how great this shape is for the tea, but says nothing about it's environmental impact. I was just shocked that a company would change to such non-biodegradable material. Supposedly, this brews such a better tea, but I bet it's just cheaper for them.

I've sent them an email, saying that I will not purchase any more Lipton Tea. And I mean it. I'll use the box I have, but now I'll have to cut each one open & shake out the tea before it goes into my compost.

Shame on Lipton.

Post subject: Re: Lipton's New Tea Bag
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:22 pm 

That's a pretty poor sales gimmick. What will they think of next!?

I'd recommend "Traditional Medicinals", "Celestial Seasons" and others over the big tea companies any day.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:35 am 

xxx

Last edited by foxykitten350234 on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:26 pm 

i agree with foxy about the best way to brew tea - i can also be a bit of a tea snob and i don't do coffee either :D

i use the regular lipton tea for my daily caffeine fix - it's just more affordable (when you consider how much of it i drink). and they are still using the usual bags for that stuff - at least this last box i just opened has it.

i looked at the wild berry stuff and didn't buy it - just wasn't in the budget that day and no coupon either. i'll be sending a note along to them about the nylon bag though - they could do the new shape in the old material.

a friend recently went to germany and brought back some teas for me - a wonderful black tea with plum; another with jasmine and a white tea with strawberry. and some rose buds that i can put in whatever i have. i really like these teas because everything in natural flavorings - not the chemical stuff you see on the shelves here. unless you're going to a tea shop, that is. and, even then, you really have to still watch it. i hate the fake flavorings...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:27 am 

I had the same experience. Was shocked to find the tea in a plastic bag. Won't be buying anymore either. Neither the worms or I want plastic with our tea. A cookie or two might be nice. ;)