The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Here We Go Again
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:37 am 

I just read this today on drweil.com.

Federal Organic Label Questioned

USDA employees and an advisory board have approved a growing list of non-organic ingredients that may be included in products bearing the green-and-white "USDA Organic" logo, according to a July 3, 2009, story in the Washington Post. For example, USDA organic versions of:

* Baby formula can contain synthetic additives.
* Beer can be made from hops that are not organically grown.
* Mock duck can contain a synthetic ingredient to give it a duck-like, stringy texture.

"It will unravel everything we’ve done if the standards can no longer be trusted," said Senator Patrick J. Leahy, the Vermont Democrat who sponsored the federal organics legislation. In response to complaints, the USDA inspector general’s office is investigating the situation.

Senator Leahy is exactly right. Large-scale food producers lobby intensively to relax federal organic standards, but the USDA must hold firm. The designation "organic" should always signify that the product contains only ingredients that are not trans-genetically modified and that are grown without synthetic fertilizers or pesticides. Any deviation from this definition risks undermining the entire program - and could be especially damaging to those strictly organic farmers and food companies that justifiably charge slightly more for truly organic food.

Post subject: Re: Here We Go Again
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:33 pm 

I'm not surprised about the hops, they're very susceptible to fungal problems. It's also a minor ingredient, in a typical 10g batch I use 4-6oz hops and 15-25lbs of wheat/barley.

I also use about 4oz of liquid yeast, and I'm pretty sure the yeast laboratories don't culture yeast with organic practices. ;) Chemicals are also used to sanitize equipment... Sometimes you just don't want to look under the hood I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:56 pm 

Having a standard is important.
Learning that my compost wasn't organic didn't hurt my feelings or plant production much. That wasn't my goal to label anything "USDA organic".

I'm comfortable with USDA's standards. (hope they stick to them)
Personally, I believe they have several more important issues to solve that aren't "organic"!

I'm also comfortable with my standards. (which is achievable & organic "to me")
If I ever go commercial, I'll say: "almost organic", according to "Dave". :) LOL

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:55 am 

I'm not a purist, but I don't like that they keep tweaking it and adding more to the list. If I'm going to spend more money to buy organic, then I don't want a bunch of synthetics in it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:07 pm 

With the cost attached to the organic label I think they should keep the standards high. If it is that difficult to go full organic, but some folks still want as much organic practices as possible without it being too difficult or expensive then maybe they should create another level of organic. How about semi-organic?

To be honest I don't bother paying the extra cost for organic foods. I have read articles on people following organic practices so their crops can be labeled as such only to find out the company who provides their so called organic fertilizer has been pulling a fast one on them. I'll stick to growing my own organic vegies.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:43 pm 

Transitional organic is the only other label here and other places I'm sure.

I too prefer to grow my own, but it's such a challenge here with the critters we share the land with and other things. Maybe once my teen is off to college I can get back to doing more and when I can recover my health some. Not that I'm anxious for my kid to be gone.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:17 pm 

I have never seen the Transitional organic label here. Due to the name I'm guessing it is for farms that have recently switched to organic practices, but still have traces of chemicals in the soil.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:46 pm 

foxykitten350234 wrote:
I have never seen the Transitional organic label here. Due to the name I'm guessing it is for farms that have recently switched to organic practices, but still have traces of chemicals in the soil.

Foxy.

Yep, that's it. They have a certain amount of time to go through the transition before they can have an organic status. I forget how long it is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:18 pm 

Did anyone else see the report from the UK on organic foods?
Seems there is no nutritional difference between regular and organic foods.
I suppose it's worth the extra money to know there are no pesticides in the organic produce?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:37 pm 

That may not be the case for long:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... ancer.html
http://www.goldenrice.org/