The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kellogg Potting soil
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:28 pm 

Went to Lowe's today to look for some potting soil. I was not happy about it because I don't want to buy soil and was especially unhappy because usually potting soil requires chemicals.

So, looked a bit and found Kellogg's. It has bat guano, compost from plants, and vermicastings in it. I am a little suspicious of the vc in the bag because it was not really visible and vc would not handle being bagged for long.

But, the product looked good and was not the cheapest, but not the most expensive potting soil. I am assuming this stuff is organic (but did not say so, so I wonder...).

What potting soils do you use (if you ever use potting soil)? When you have to add to your soil (when you have to buy something), do you use topsoil, compost, etc.?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:36 am 

As soon as my peat is used up I'm switching to compost for all my potting/seed starting needs. I listed a link that showes the differance that I got using compost.

John

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 69585.html

My Web Page: http://www.jbest123.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:23 am 

Interesting John. Have you thought of starting up a journal here to keep a record of your trials?

I was thinking leaf mold would be a good medium in a seedling mix. Any seed that sprouts in it outside does very well!

I use Gardner and Bloome potting soil for my containers. They make mixes for various uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:47 pm 

John - that is cool.

luv2grdn - leaf mold would probably be great. There are not many leaves out here, though. Not a lot to compost either. That is why we have to buy composted mulch and other products. It is difficult to do when I hear about everyone making their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:33 am 

You can always make compost out of kitchen scraps and paper waste, such as egg cartons, b & w newspaper, cereal boxes, etc. You might be able to get the tossed produce from grocery stores and/or vegie scraps from restaurants. Where there's a will, there's a way!

Check into Gardner and Bloome products too. If you like the looks of them, maybe you could make a request for a nursery in your area to get some of their products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:03 pm 

I am doing that now. I have a compost pile with kitchen scraps and newspaper. Added to that pile are UCGs from Starbucks and Alfalfa hay (free loose stuff from the feed store).

So, it is not impossible, but just not as easy as when there is a lot of vegetation around.

I also vermicompost.

The grocery store said that they could not give me any old veggies because of fear of being sued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:33 am 

Sorry to lecture you then. :roll: I can imagine the shortage of vegetation there, something I don't lack here! But we do lack sun, so there's always a trade off.

Last Sunday I mixed grass clippings and a bunch of weeds with some of last falls leaves, so that should be cooking now.

That's too bad the store won't give you their waste. It's such a shame that people have become so quick to sue over petty things. I'll have to ask some stores around here to see if I get the same answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:17 pm 

Hey Luv! I looked up Gardner and Bloome and was very surprised to find out that there are two nurseries in this area that carry their products. I will be dropping by and checking out the prices.

Thanks for the information!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:45 am 

You're welcome. I hope it's close to what you're looking for and that it's not too spendy.

Post subject: Re: Kellogg Potting soil
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:06 am 

Consider adding coffee grounds. I have tried this and it works great. Your local Starbucks or coffee shop will sometimes even give you bags for free.