The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 3:08 am 

I read that article. It points up things I have thought about, especially since we moved and the former owner kept a toxic lawn. (herbicides I think as well "fertilizers?" no doubt applied by the mindless mowers and blowers My pumpkin and cucumbers died a slow death and my tomatoes did not flourish like they had at my last garden where I bought a house with a neglected yard. Even my pineapple sage struggles. It saddens me. The next house one of the requirements will be organic or neglected yard.

I started growing tomatoes years ago, and suddenly fell in love with them. I never really liked them before. This year I willd grow some in a huge pot, along with lemon cucumbers.

I remember peaches that tasted sweet and juicy. Some peaches stay in the memory forever because they were so good. There is a little farm near us, and he grows good peaches. I feel lucky because of that.

Karen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:32 pm 

I couldn't agree more. Early tonight I had a simple salad of "Green Ice" loose lettuce. It was wonderful. Crisp, light, smooth with just a slight bit. Best part, this is the forth time I have picked greens off of these plants and I should get several more before the heat makes them bolt. Also, I know they are 100% organic.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 6:48 pm 

I found it would take a couple of years for my gardens to do well whenever we got a new house. It would take a while for the insect balance to build up too. But when we built our current house on forested land, I've seen some remarkable growth in plants, especially trees, that I haven't seen before. I'm amazed out how quickly the tree trunks thicken up here. The insect balance was already intact too, so not much waiting for improvement. The worst part is the ground that was chewed up for construction. That disrupts the soil life a lot and it takes a long time to build it back up.

As far as I know, there weren't many chemicals used on this land, if any, so that helped too. It has been interesting to watch nature at her best.