The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Organic discussion
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:58 pm 

Thanks to my vermi-forum friends, I have become interested in organic living. The problem is that I am a city girl with no idea how to go organic. So, I would love it if we could get this forum started again.

Is anyone game?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:35 pm 
Actually, the "discussion" never ended here. If you wander about, you'll find plenty of different discussions going on on this site related to organic gardening.

That said, do you have a specific question or questions about organic gardening you want answered that have stymied you after regular web searches?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:15 pm 

I would just love to hear about people's experiences with using organic techniques in gardening.

I am trying to convince my husband that it is a viable way to go. It would be great to hear about other's successes so that I can get an idea what works in practice (instead of just advice).

For instance. I am curious what people use to feed their lawns. At this time, I do not have enough vc to feed the lawn, so I wondered what other people use and how often they applied the nutrients to their lawn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:44 pm 

The first thing you need to learn is how to take care of the soil, since that's where the plants get their nutrients. It takes the help of soil organisms to make some of those nutrients available to plants, like probiotics for the human gut if you know about them. There are other things besides the bacteria.

I'm not into lawns, but I know a lot of people use soy bean meal and others for fetilizer, but once again, you need the soil life to help break it down. If you just do an internet search on organic lawns, I'm sure you'd find more info. than you'd want. :)

There are packaged organic plant foods. I like one called, "Dr. Earth." Home made compost is good and I see you've done the vc, so that's good for the soil and the plants.

Hope that gets you started. I'm sure others will have many more suggestions for you. Keep up the good work!

Post subject: Re: Organic discussion
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:15 am 

Talking about organic gardening, one must always use organic products as much as possible. And using fertilizer in particular, an organic gardener should use organic fertilizers such as Worm Castings.

A tough efficient worm-casting-producing-specie for begginers like you that live up to it's name and the quotation "worms really eat half of their weight in 24 hrs on their upper temperature limits" are Red Wiggler worms or Eisenia Foetida. Red Wiggler composting worms can withstand temperatures ranging from 16° - 28°C (60° - 80°F) and on their upper temperature limits, Red Wigglers would double their activities(eating, mating, producing etc.) and producing Worm Castings in the process.

Here are some articles on feeding Red Wiggler worms and their composting capabilities:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Keeping-Red-Wiggler-worms-in-your-worm-bin-for-Organic-Gardening

http://hubpages.com/hub/Backyard-Gardening-Worm-Composting-Tigers-Red-Wiggler-Worms

Post subject: Re: Organic discussion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:04 am 

Garden organic Ryton made me reassess how I wanted to tend my own garden, by showing how gardeners could work with nature to achieve a space that was wildlife friendly, environmentally sound and still breathtakingly beautiful and productive.