The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Kelp Meal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:04 pm 

I was wondering if anyone else shares my enthusiasm for ammending the soil each season w/some kelp meal?

While compost covers many bases, I find the addition of that extra potassium and 50 or so surplus micronutrients found in kelp (liquid or meal) to really 'jazz up' my soil each season. The liquid, of course, is a great supplemental pick-me-up foliar feed as well.

Planting and replanting in the same beds, can really chew up the nutrients. So every little bit of help I can give my compost to feed the soil, helps improves its tilth and vitality. Of all the 'additions', kelp meal seems to do the trick the best. It's not cheap (I get a 50lb bag from Gardens Alive! every other or third season which costs $50 +S&H!). But a little goes a long way, so the investment evens out.

Post subject: Re: Kelp Meal
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:23 pm 

Hi Gardenz,
I'm a big fan of kelp meal....although I have to confess I refuse to pay Gardens Alive's whomping s&h charge for their 50 lb. bag! :x I know I'm probably paying more in the long run ordering it in smaller sized bags but I don't care....I have my principles to adhere to!! 8)

I need to look around in my garden shed for a container from last year's liquid fertilizer concentrate. Can't remember the name of it but it was good stuff and I had great results using it as a foliar spray all through the garden on both vegetables and flowers, as well as a soil drench fertilizer for my container plants. If I can locate it I'll post the name of the product in case anyone is interested...it's made by a company called Aggreene.

Good topic!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:12 am 

Buffalogal,

You're totally right about GA's exhorbitant S&H. That's exactly why I wait till around this time of year to buy it from them because they always issue a $25 (or is it $20)-off coupon for anything in their catalog, so that just about covers the S&H + a little bit more for the kelp.

Like gardening...timing is everything! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:05 am 

Not sure if you have tried this for a source, but my local feed store sells many of these amendments in 50# bags at reasonable prices - Kelp meal, Alfalfa meal, Corn Meal Gluten etc and many more. Not sure if they are an exception to the rule as far as feed stores goes, but I buy all my pet food (at least 25% less then the pet store, same brands) and all my soil, compost and amendments from them. No shipping or handling, large bags etc.

Worth a try, call multiple to see if any have a large selection of garden products. Even if you had to go a bit into the country it would probably still be cheaper then shipping and maybe a nice drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:35 pm 

Appreciate it dirtykat. Funny you should mention it, but I do happen to live in a slightly urbanized rural area and am only a stone's throw (well a 10 minute car drive at best :lol:) from many local, family-operated farms. Consequently, I'm fortunate to be near quite a few farm/feed supply stores. And...yes...your're absolutely right, they would be the the first logical places to check for the kelp meal. While I can get my CGM and alfalfa pellets there - as you do - also my birdseed and cracked corn & liquid kelp, not a one of them carries the kelp meal. :( So, for now, I'm stuck w/GA. (Thank goodness for that coupon!);)

If there's anyone else interested in the kelp meal, your suggestion as an alternative source is very helpful. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:58 pm 
Maxicrop is said to have the best kelp products available. Apparently, not all seaweed is the same, according to them.
http://www.maxicrop.com/index.html

I use a fish/seaweed combo from Neptune's Harvests that works great for me. http://www.neptunesharvest.com/

I think an application of alfalfa meal is great for your soil as well. Besides containing growth hormones as kelp does, it is very high in Vitamin A, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Niacin, Pyridoxine, Choline, Proline, Bentaine, Folic Acid, plus N-P-K (3-1-2), and trace elements. It also contains sugars, starches, proteins, coenzymes, and amino acids. Also much cheaper and easier to obtain than kelp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:54 am 

Of course if you live close to the sea there's kelp in its natural state for the picking and plenty! The compost heap loves it and if your neighbors don't mind try it as mulch.