The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: When will they be up?
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:04 pm 

I keep telling myself I should keep records, but I never do. Kinda enjoy the suspence and the surprise, I guess--but it seems like I should have some signs of Amorphophallus by now. The only one I'm absulutely sure will be back (I think!) is A. bulbifer, which I've had for ten years or so and which drops bulbs no matter how hard I try to collect them to give away, so I have a couple pretty good patches. MAY have three others I hope. Xanthosoma 'Mickey Mouse' showed up this week, and I think it was something like August before I saw it last year. Didn't have much time to get big! We've had lots of warm weather--hasn't gone much over 90 very many times, but middle 80s for a couple months I think. Shouldn't they be showing up by now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:43 pm 

Whoo hoo!! Two bulbifers showed up today! Guess that means they should all be popping up pretty soon. Guess the rest of you that have them will be coming along sometime soon too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:56 am 

Nothing from my main bulbifer tuber yet, konjac and albus just coming through now, the cold wet spell we experienced delayed things considerably, the windowsill tropicals are of course out of sync with everything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:33 pm 

That is the main reason I have decreased my collection so much over the past couple of years. I had several hundred and now have a few dozen. I have seen dozens of Amorph blooms and they all get sort of routine and boring after awhile and the big problem up here in zone 6 is too many do not break dormancy until July, then they have 2 months to grow unless I keep them all inside!! it's just not worth the hassle anymore except my few dwarf species and the ones I can just plop in the ground for the summer and they do fine.....konjac, bulbifer, napalensis. Most of these are just coming up now for me by the way :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:10 pm 

Yeah, I see your point, Dan. There are lots of plants I've loved in other climates. Gardeners shouldn't have to move so much, but then I've learned to grow a lot of different things I wouldn't have had a chance to if I'd stayed put, so I guess it's a trade-off. There's a limit to how much adjustment we should make I think to grow a plant that really doesn't like our conditions. All my amorphs are up now, with the possible exception of one I can't remember, but including the paeonifolia that didn't come back last year and the one I bought kinda late to replace it!