The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:43 pm 

Just looked at the site and was curious why this forum is the only one to be singled out to let us all know what an aroid is? Is it really possible that people do not know this if they are posting and why does it really matter? Honestly, if someone posts about an Alocasia or Colocasia or whatever on the bulb forum is it a problem? Seems an odd distinction :D Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:02 pm 

nothing wrong with providing more detail about what is included in any specific category.

a lot of people don't know what aroids are - so, having the info listed in the forum header is a way to spread knowledge.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:47 pm 

True of all categories though :D Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:10 am 

I agree with Dan. I can't imagine what "Vegetables and Fruits" would be like if you included the various possible subtopics. I'm a tomato guy, but I wouldn't campaign for it to have either a separate category or to be included in an explanatory subtitle, though there is quite a bit of confusion about which it is.

I had no idea what Aroids are, but I think if I were really a philodendron guy, I would know what category was appropriate for it.

I'm in favor of keeping the forum simple. I've seen categories created in the past that got 3 or 4 posts and then were never posted in again. This clutters the forum without any real upside.

On the other hand, I'm not a topic Nazi either. I admire Jason for wanting to take the time and effort to manage the site and I support any decisions he deems appropriate.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:53 am 
One of the biggest problems the International Aroid Society faces is figuring out a way to let people know what an "aroid" is. Millions of people grow Philodendron, Anthurium, Alocasia, Colocasia, Monstera, Amorphophallus and other genera all over the world but have no idea those are aroids.

My goal is to help people learn. Nothing else.

People don't know and I can prove that by the 1/2 million people every year that look up some of these genera on my own website and then send me a note asking what I mean by "aroid". I answer thousands of emails every single month either as a result of my site or as a result of being an officer of the IAS. And I literally mean "thousands".

Just this morning I was discussing this very topic with the other officers of the IAS. People love the plants, they just have not been introduced to the word "aroid". I want them to join the IAS so they can learn even more but most have zero idea what the "International Aroid Society" even does.

If explaining that to all the millions of people that have not had the term explained is offensive then please remove it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:25 pm 

I said this before, but just a sticky at the head of the forum with the info. for people who want to know what an aroid is might be enough. I think most people who didn't know would get on the forum to find out what it meant and having a sticky with the subject "what is an aroid?" would be all that's needed. JMO.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:31 pm 

The extra info was at the request of a user. It seemed reasonable, but as mentioned, wasn't quite fitting with the rest of the forums. Anyway, that user decided to leave the forum, so I've gone ahead and returned it to "normal."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:30 pm 

Wow, I hope no one decided to leave just because I asked a question about why this forum was singled out for special attention!! If so, then they are more sensitive than I thought imaginable. I didn't mean to cause such a huge fuss :D Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:18 pm 

I have seen numerous misplaced plants under incorrect categories on a number of the various forums I belong to and there is never any complaints about them. In some forums the Administrator may move the topic to the correct category with no fuss at all. I am of the opinion that I was guilty of a worse offense than the one above and that is how one can side track from the original discussion to a completely new item. If one then try to start a new topic in the correct category the discussion never takes off again like it did when it was side tracked. I personally do not have any problems with that either perhaps because I am sometimes the guilty party. :oops:

Am I side tracking now too? After all I believe that these forums are places to meet new friends, have a discussion about a particular plant, learn about new plants and not to complain about the new friend you made.

Heinie
Cape Town
South Africa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:52 pm 

yes, someone did leave this site because their suggestion was ridiculed.

really, what's the big deal? just because you know what something is doesn't mean everyone does. nothing wrong at all with having the detail there, right up front. saves time for people and provides info for others about what is included in that particular grouping.

it's not very clear going by the forum name 'aroid' what IS included in the group. unlike the forum titles of bulbs, houseplants, shrubs & trees, annuals & perennials - all of which are self explanatory.

hmmm, is my post a little on the rude side? if you say yes, then you'd have to agree that yours was as well, dan.

i specifically invited steve and many others here (both recently and over the whole time i've been a member).

he's so knowledgeable in the field of aroids and everyone said, when dan was going to drop the site, that they wanted to see more activity in other areas than cacti/succs, i thought what better way to bring more people to the site than to get the aroid area running with more activity. which would naturally bring others in because those that grow aroids also grow a lot of other tropical type plants.

that invite happened to coincide with the changes on another forum and i extended an invite to those people as well.

none of the people who joined here have felt welcomed - as evidenced by no repeat postings and some have actually deleted their accounts. color me completely embarrassed and very dissappointed.

and there IS something funny going on with the site - as i'm typing this, half the time i can't see what i'm typing because the window is scrolling up and down with each keystroke. i wonder if the word swimming will appear somewhere here as well??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:11 pm 

Joclyn, I do not consider your post to be rude at all......I have no idea why you would think it was. I thought I just asked a simple question, but obviously I was wrong. I for one could care less if someone asks about a Philo in the houseplant forum.....most of us would likely grow the plant that way so I would not be worried about that at all. Steve is a very knowledgeable person and it is a shame he left over something as simple as a question about why this forum was singled out for special treatment.

As I said in my original post....why does it really matter if we post in the wrong forum? If someone posts about an Alocasia or Colocasia or Philodendron in the houseplant or bulb forum is that an issue to the responders or the administrators? The only reason anyone might have a problem with that is if they are overly concerned with phylogeny which I am not and it prompted my question.

If I was rude I apologize. I will also leave the forum with my sincerest apologies and make this my last post. I will go back to making my few posts on the GW.

Good growing all :D Dan