The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:55 pm 
I'd just like to introduce myself.

My name is Steve Lucas and I serve on the board of governors of the International Aroid Society. The society would like for everyone on this forum to know we're here to try to help you find answers to your questions so if you have one, please post it to this reopened forum.

I operate a website devoted primarily to aroid collectors which you can find here: http://www.ExloticRainforest.com I make no claim to be an aroid expert but I know lots of folks that can rightfully claim that title. If you need info I'll do all I can to help. You may also find a visit to the IAS website useful http://www.Aroid.org

I am in hopes we can get some great discussions going right away! The photo below is of a portion of my personal collection.

Steve Lucas
http://www.ExoticRainforest.com

Attachments:
Exotic Rainforest atrium.jpg
Exotic Rainforest atrium.jpg [ 494.63 KiB | Viewed 764 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:55 pm 

heya, steve!

i just got a cutting of a phil from my docs office - it's growing like crazy!! doubled it's size within a month and it's just rooting in water at the moment. i have to find time to take good pics of it so you can id it for me. will try to do that this weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am 
Post a photo! We'll see what we can figure out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:47 pm 

What a beautiful spot! I know nothing about aroids. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:22 pm 
Aroids are easy to grow! Just like any other plant all you need do is buy a plant and grow it to learn. Of course, asking a few questions and doing a little research will help. I love to try to help so just ask!

I'm adding just a few more photos of our little botanical garden.

Attachments:
File comment: Our pond and waterfall.
pond from bench2 copy.jpg
pond from bench2 copy.jpg [ 190.61 KiB | Viewed 1072 times ]
File comment: The walkways in our Exotic Rainforest atrium
walks combined 2.jpg
walks combined 2.jpg [ 260.37 KiB | Viewed 762 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:35 pm 

I am on trainer wheels. It was through Steve's guidance and great information that I realised I actualy had some. Now that the pups are growing it is starting to look very interesting. They are easy to grow, at least they are here as we don't have screaming cold weather. Mine are outside along a board walk to my work room tucked in the shrubbery on some treefern logs and some still in pots. When we redo the front drive (have aquired some freebi tree ferns and birds nest) I will put the aroids up there. Better environment. It is all under an arch way of Robinia trees and well protected from wind and the hot weather.

Liz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 am 

cool atrium! Could sure use one of them here to chase away the winter blahs!
I've growm a few aroids, to me they seem to be such a big group of plants, you can barely avoid growing a couple..... voodoo lilies are aroids too aren't they?

I like either the elephant ears or the caladiums to put out in the garden over the summer. It's a little work digging them again in the fall but I think it's worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:01 pm 

yes, a bit of extra work...definitely worth it though! very nice grouping there, kato!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:39 pm 
Well, since many of us are on "training wheels", including me I'd like to start a discussion to see what we can learn together.

Lots of aroids such as Caladium, Amorphophallus, Colocasia and others grow from an undeground stem which many people call a "bulb". Some call it a corm and others call it a tuber.

I have worked for well over a month on an article for the next issue of the International Aroid Society journal Aroideana. During the research I learned a bunch of stuff I never fully understood and I would bet most of you aren't clear on some of those topics as well. So here is a question and I'd like for everyone to kick in an answer before I tell you what I learned from Dr. Croat and several other scientists.

I think all of you will be surprised! There are quite a few plants that grow from an underground base so tell us what you currently believe!

1 What is the difference (if any) between a bulb, a bulbil, a bulblet, a corm and a tuber?

2) Are all of these forms applicable to aroids? If not, which ones are found within the family Araceae (aroids)?

3) What is their purpose and what do they do?

4) An onion is not an aroid but if it does grow as one of these forms which one would it be?

I'll bet every single person here is going to learn something they did not know! If you know other growers you think might enjoy this discussion make sure they know about it!

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 am 
Sure is quiet around here!

Just wanted to invite all of you to join the IAS as a fan on FACEBOOK. I have a personal goal of 1000 fans by September so please add your name to the list!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Mia ... 1094100787

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:39 pm 

It has been on the quiet side since the changes to the forum, but also because it's winter. Things should pick up once spring rolls around, which it has already here. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 am 
At least there's someone here !

I'm just in hopes we can get some regular conversation because there's lots to learn.

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:45 am 

Steve, As you have likely learned from the discussion of tubers, etc. on aroid-l the definition is not so straightforward (except maybe for bulbs)....someone posted a lengthy description which was not totally accurate based on observations from others and now Wilbert has weighed in.......if the botanists can not come 100% to terms with it likely just more mud in the water here :shock:

Your conservatory is fantastic by the way......if I ever get a GH before I die this is what I would want it to look like.....a walk-through garden rather than a bunch of benches.....incredibly well done :D Dan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm 
Dan, I believe Wilbert is totally accurate on this but his info also jives with the info Christoper posted and Tom verified. I have been trading mail with Wilbert, Tom, Pete and others for several months on this subject and everyone is fairly well in agreement, at least he aroid botanists. The ones that tend not to agree specialize in other genera where the same terms may not be used as they are in aroids.

Glad you like the atrium. I have an article on my site telling how we built it.

For those that have no idea what Aroid l is please visit www.Aroid.org. You can easily join Aroid l where qualified botanists often help us understand terms that are somewhat complex, the info is at the left side of the page.