The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:16 pm 

hi

since i took my Alocasia cuprea to a cooler spot (~ 15°C) it's getting brownish leaves. i braught it back into the living room now. :cry: :(

does anybody have an idea what's wrong with it?
i'll take some pictures of it tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm 

I think A. cuprea is one of the ones that goes dormant if it gets chilly. It'll probably be okay when it gets warmer, tho' maybe not too much 'til spring. Reminds me I'm not sure I brought mine into the house--we're expecting maybe the coldest night so far tonite, and I know I didn't do enough to protect things. Ran out of space, and also energy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 am 

so you mean the brownish leaves are probably normal? i'm so relieved... should i leave it in the cooler bedroom then? we have about 10-15°C there.

i'd hate to loose this dear plant. i had baught one like this when i was pregnant with ma daughter almost 4 years ago. i didn't have it very long. it never grew and one day the plant just fell out of it's pot. :(
i was so happy when i found this plant again! they don't have it to regularly around here where i live.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:13 pm 

Sorry I didn't get back sooner--and sorry someone who knows more than I do didn't jump in! I did bring mine in, and it looks fair, tho' there are so many plants all crammed together that probably none of them are doing as well as they should be--but mostly I just try to keep 'em alive during our rather brief and mild winter--or what passes for winter! (I moved here from Nebraska, where they 'do' winter very well!) Someone on another forum said to treat A. cuprea like a cactus--I think he meant mainly to be very careful not to over-water. Since I'm a chronic under-waterer anyway I probably don't water it enough and it would be happier if I did more. But I'm afraid to over-do it! Nice plant--hope yours does well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:47 pm 

i hardly water now in winter either - 70% are C&S and the rest i watered about 2,5 weeks ago. they still seem to be moist enough. watered the A.Cuprea that day to, so i think she shouldn'T be suffering because of lack of water.
braught her back into the bedroom. here she stands cool and has enough light. the brown spots from the beginning are now all brown leaves since i had the plant in the darker but warmer hallway.

took of two leaves this week, they were hanging down and out of the pot...

doesn't really look ugly, but that's not the way the Alocasia is supposed to look like :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:26 pm 

Isn't that Alocasia x amazonica? I had one of these once, reduced at a garden centre, which died down and went dormant indoors, i wasn't expecting this and thought it was probably dead but left it in the pot and slightly moist just in case. The second time it went dormant i unearthed it to examine the tuber and discovered that it was trapped inside a mesh plug which might account for why the thing always looked so miserable, well, that and the horrible peat it was planted in. After this i put the tubers in a box to store and forgot about them :oops:. I took a couple of offsets and potted them up but they never broke dormancy.

Is the plant producing new leaves at the moment or are all of them slowly discolouring without being replaced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:15 am 

From the picture I'd say PhilH is correct--xamazonica or one of the others in that group. A. cuprea has a more oval--less arrow-shaped--leaf. It also has quite deeply indented veins in the leaf, if that helps any. I have several amazonica types, and their veines are not nearly as deep. Of course with my mild climate, I can grow a lot of these guys outside all year, but it's a gamble. Some come back and some don't. Some come back a couple years later. When they come back in late summer two years later I get the feeling I should have kept them in pots and taken them in! They aren't dry in the ground, so I don't keep them dry in the house, and if they're warm enough they don't go dormant, tho' they don't grow much either before they can get back outside. I don't really know what I'm doing, just guessing and hoping, but beginning to feel like I'm learning my way around them somewhat. Very interesting family!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:53 am 

hi Phil --

i have no idea if it's amazonica.. :? but i'll check google for some pictures. i think it turned colour because it wasen't bright enough --
it got really cold the other night any my tropics all seem to caught a cold. my Alocasia looks really bad! the three leaves that were left over will have to be cut of.
no new leaves as far as i can see! i braught the plant in now, it's in the kitchen (cool and not as cols as in the bedroom -- but brighter!) i'll water my plants later today and give them some fertilizer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:57 pm 

I don't think you need to fertilize it until it starts growing again--at least from what I read. Not sure, but I think without leaves it might even be somewhat harmful. You could let it get mostly dry too. Too much water while they're dormant can lead to rot--I think! Wish I knew what I'm talking about!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 am 

hey GB -- i watered all my plants two days ago - exept for the succulents i keep outside. it's really warm indoors we should have about 20°C and sunshine everyday. i'll just waite and see. maybe she'll survive my early watering, start growing again and everything is fine. i paniced a little :oops: -- just have to waite now..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:00 am 

Nancy is correct, you shouldn't ferterlize a plant when it is not in active growth. And yes, too much water for a dormant plant is just asking for rot. If the plant is truly dormant it might need a little bit of water every once in a great while to keep the roots from totaly drying up.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:12 pm 

OK -- it's not growing, no new leaves in sight ... :(

B U T it's not rooting either! i know now for sure because the cat got a hold of it :evil:

what do you think? repot? water? waite?

Image Image
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:13 pm 

I think that is a cuprea to sleep, if it gets cold. It may get better, and when it gets warm, tho 'perhaps not too much until the spring. Remind me, I do not know that I led me into the house - the direction of perhaps the coldest night so far looking forward to tonight, I know the things I did not do enough to protect.