The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:19 pm 

hey :)

I got my Zantedeschia aetiopica in today and cut of the old leaves. the stems were week, but half of the leaves were still pretty green.

my plant hasen't bloomed since i baught it in 2005. i really want her to bloom for me this winter!

i remember the old leaves were supposed to be cut of, but how far? think i left about 3cm of the stem ... is that ok or should i cut it down some more?

Last edited by Anja on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:59 pm 

When the first harsh frost hit mine i just cut all of the leaves and flower spikes back to green growth, they look a little untidy but that's not really a problem, all those leaf stems should shrivel by next spring when they can be pulled away and the plant tidied up. I'd be inclined to leave longer stems behind so that the wounds are further from the plant, it probably doesn't make any difference really though.

I'm not sure how best to encourage flowering, i had flowers earlier in the year but mine all started forming buds too late this year and only one special plant(large spotted leaf form with green goddess like spathes) kept frost free in the shed will actually succeed in producing a second flush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:14 pm 

hi phil,

so you keep your zantedeschia outside? i had mine out in the stairway since end of september, beginning of oktober. we only have about 10°C during daytime.

will water it in a few days and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:23 pm 

I left a couple of 'Crowborough' out over last winter and they came back happily this year, so i'm going to try the spotted varieties unprotected this year too.

I'm wondering if they'll do better with a real dormancy or if kept ticking over through the winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:07 am 

my plants doing fine! new leaves are rising up out of the pot -- really have to upload some pictures !

Image Image

these pictures i took few minutes ago. i definately cut the leaves of to deep! would cut them higher next time.

Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:07 am 

I grow mine in pots and they bloom in the summer and then in the fall I just cut them off and toss the pots in the basement.....nothing more than that. I did get one of the so-called 'Giant' forms last year from a great lady and it is being kept growing through the winter and producing lots of new leaves and offsets......they offset really fast apparently. I was told this one was an evergreen, but it may slow way down in winter.....seems to be doing well and next spring I will put it in a larger pot and hope for my first flower.....the leaves are nicely 18 inches long now I would guess (45 cm). Best of luck with yours :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:53 pm 

hey i guess my Zantedeschia are just weird but, they are growing right now... al lest the typical one is.

my Z. "Golden chalice" is sleeping right now.

the Greater Dallas/ Ft Worth Bromeliad Society
our website: http://www.dfwbromeliads.com

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/african_succulents/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:24 am 

In my experience Z. aethiopica and its cultivars are all evergreen and will grow through winter given a little protection, even some of those i left out for the frost have tried to produce new leaves since the nights got warmer, i kept a green goddess in the cold greenhouse last winter with bone dry soil and even during freezing weather it held onto its leaves.

Tilly's "Golden chalice", on the other hand, is presumably one of the tuberous, as opposed to rhizomatous, hybrids which seems to stop growing and head towards dormancy naturally after flowering. I've read that albomaculata has rhizomes and can be evergreen though, what do you guys tend to find?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:28 am 

I find that without a GH mine get to go dormant whether they want to or not, but your experience sounds interesting with the tuberous vs. rhizomatous species/hybrids :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:42 am 

pictures have moved to here

and here is a picture i took few days ago. my plant is back to it's glory again :D :D but sill no buds in sight *grr*