The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Amorph Koratensis flowering
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:00 pm 

Does anybody have experience with this species?

Do they flower every year?

Take a rest from flowering?

How big do the tubers need to be before they will flower?

I have recently purchased a Tuber and had hoped it would flower, being a fairly large one.

I am still looking forward to a very vigorous growing season for this plant, but am a little disappointed that it didn't flower this year.

Good growing to all!

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:10 pm 

John,

When did you buy the plant?? They typically flower in spring or very early summer and then grow after that.....if you can get them to grow in your climate after that. If you bought the tuber in June or so then you are out of luck this year. There are many, many posts about the difficulty we northern growers have with Amorphs after flowering....they often do not grow a leaf that year......My guess is that in places like Thailand they grow until Nov. or so when the rains end so it is not a big deal. More than likely the seller bloomed it themselves and then dumped the tuber on ebay or they imported it and it had already bloomed before being shipped from overseas....I used to do this a lot, but got tired of it.... I have imported over a thousand blooming size tubers, but if I import in the spring you can see where they had already bloomed and been cut off to ship.......you really need to do your homework on things like this and make sure you ask the seller if it had bloomed already this year....makes a world of difference. I've never grown koratensis as I do not find it to be attractive, but I've grown huge numbers of these things and that is the experience I am drawing on :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:26 am 

Hi Dan,

I had ordered a Pseudodracontium from a highly reccomended seller but he was out of them. I know he didn't have any of the more common species of Amorph's. I asked him to ship me an amorph as a replacement and just surprise me.
Thats how I came to own an A. Koratensis. Given its size I was expecting flowers and not a Petiole.
The tuber arrived in late July along with the A. Pygmaus that he did have in stock.

My collection is a little small and I am still new to this to the point that I am "still" willing to go out of my way to cater to the off-season, "other-hemispherical" growing demands of certain members of this genera.
For me the novelty hasn't worn off yet.

I have purchased some tubers from Thailand and am hoping that they don't skip a year as you said they sometimed do.

I am particularily worried about some A. Tuberosis tubers that look as if they might dry out too much to make it through dormancy.
I currently am storing these dry but I think I will need to put them in some kind of medium.
In your experience Dan, what is the best way to store the smaller tubers?
Do you have a favorite medium to store the ones that must be stored in "soil"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:17 am 

Well, if you bought it in July and it had not broken dormancy yet there was a really good chance that it was not going to which is likely why it was sold to you. Most of the really good growers I know do not pot them up if they have not broken dormancy by then as it makes it so that they have to be kept growing through the winter which is pain for any of the larger species. I find ones like pyagmaeus, obscurus, etc. to be highly prone to dessication in my home......not a problem for others, but for me it is and so I do not have those anymore.

I store all my tubers in a big tub of peat for the winter.....whether they need it or not....none of mine have labels as I could care less......the really small species stay in their pots all winter so those I can keep track of, but other than that they are only subdivided into long skinny tubers and short fat tater tubers :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:35 am 

If you need to store tubers moist then coir is likely a much better option than peat, it's very clean, hard to overwater and much less attractive to pests.

As for flowers, if you're only after blooms you're probably looking at the wrong genus, learn to appreciate the highly decorative petioles and lamina too, you'll see a lot more of those than you ever will inflorescences ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:30 am 

I agree that the influorescence is not the highlight of the genus and after you have seen a few they get awfully boring to be totally honest!! I've been growing them for the petioles for quite some time now and am actually disappointed when they flower as it almost certainly means I will not get a leaf that year....except on the weed we call konjac. I have asked on the aroid-l if you can avoid the flower and force the petiole by cutting the emerging flower off, but this does not seem to work so we just need to put up with the influorescence I guess :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:33 am 

What do you mean "weed"? i can't have much more than a couple of hundred of the things ;)

That said, i've yet to see flowers from them, maybe my largest will flower next year, if it doesn't split into 5 separate tubers that is :roll: