The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:41 am 

Well, my Amorphophallus atroviridis finally bloomed, but it really points out the hassle with Amorphs in general in my zone and that is that they decide to wake up and grow at the most inoportune times!! Hope you like the pics of this guy anyway:
The leaf is far more impressive than the influorescence on this species, but I will not be seeing any leaves this year :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:52 am 

Very nice, dan, very good appendix on that one

Do you have any techniques for convincing Amorphophallus tubers to stay dormant once they start to form new growing points?

I have a few A. kachinensis seedlings which have manged to get out of sync with our "summer" and are just thinking about breaking dormancy in the near future, should i try storing them in sterilised coir in the fridge or something?

Post subject: Nice pictures Dan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:36 pm 

I an new to Amorph's this year.

I grow mine in pots here in Lower Bucks, Pa. just outside of Philly.

I have a small room inside that I will be bringing everything to when the weather gets too cold.

I have an A. Koratensis that is just breaking dormancy.

I also have a few others from Madagascar that will be breaking dormancy within the next few months.

It is new and exciting to me but I see how it may pose too much of a challenge in the future if my collection grows out of hand.

It would be good Phil if they could be forced and timed into growing when we want them to.

Do you bring any inside Dan?

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:12 pm 

Hi, I used to "collect" different species and decided that was sort of silly so my collection has really been rained in so that I only have maybe 20 species now. The problem with the ones from Madagascar is by default they want to grow now as they have changed hemispheres of course. I got a couple of these from Out Of Africa 2 years ago and got rid of them the following year as they were just to big of a pain growing all winter....the same thing with the Am. galbra I got from Australia (my picture of that species is on the IAS web site). Good luck with yours!!!

My advice is to allow them to grow whenever they darn well please especially when young. I have some huge tubers of various species (scaber, opertus, kachinensis, macrorhizus, etc. that have not broken dormancy this year and so I am happy to leave them alone until next year. I bring in perhaps 100 or so growing plants in the fall (about 3 weeks from now) and put them under 400W MH bulbs until they go dormant as they need to add some size to their tubers. I also find that in my climate once they flower they almost 100% of the time do not grow a leaf that year....except for konjac of course.....again, I find this to be frustrating and many times sell the tuber after it flowers since I know it is not going to grow anyway for me.

I have several dozen small tubers from seed 2 years ago of angustispathus, impressus and mossambicensus that have just started growing this summer in the past couple of weeks and they will all come inside to a window for the remainder of their growth cycle this winter.

Best of luck this winter with these guys :D Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:38 pm 

I don't know that i can let everything grow when it feels like it, space is at a bit of a premium, or will be in a couple of weeks when the greenhouse is emptied and the shed filled with overwintering bananas and brugmansias :roll:

I'll probably give in and plant the things if they do start to grow over winter they are seedlings after all, thankfully the kiusianus seedlings have been growing over summer, though the tubers didn't look very special when i planted them so i'm not too sure what i'll be left with when they die down. Maybe i should experiment with refrigerating some the more prolific species. It seems to have been an odd year for bulbifer, two of mine have failed to break dormancy even though they grew over summer and went dormant at a reasonable time last year.

John, i haven't found any way to force them but slowing the development of new growth would be just as good, if slower, for getting them in sync with our growing seasons.

Dan, do you have any good sources for seed or just tubers? After losing a few thai tubers before i'd had a chance to plant them i feel a little safer starting from seed, at least i know they aren't as likely to be harbouring any interesting fungi or animals that'll want to tuck into my other tubers.

My decus-silvae has put up a large leaf, unfortunately they're nicest for the first couple of weeks before they're fully developed and start to droop, still, the petiole is wonderful and it looks surprisingly healthy despite being somewhat underpotted in very light compost and a little unstable when not thoroughly watered :oops:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:55 am 

No, I have never bought any seed except titanum a few years ago and I got some from Wilbert in trade, but that is it....sorry!!

I know the space problem....and my wife would happily attest to that!! I pack them in like sardines and rarely water as I am just allowing them to slowly go into dormancy, but it does help in adding some size to the tubers I think.

Here is my Am. atroviridis one day later fully open and smelling nicely:
Hope the stench isn't too much for you :D Dan