The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Black Magic--NOT!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:05 pm 

I grew Black Magic a few years ago and lost it--don't remember how, but things have been a mite difficult here for awhile. Liked it so much I bought another one this spring, quite a small one but that's okay. In our heat and humidity they grow fast. Well, today I was breakin' my back trying to get rid of about a million plants of an 'elephant ear' I got without a name some years ago. I was warned that it was really invasive so I planted it in a big pot without drainage, where it did really well. It was at the edge of a large rather over-planted bed, and I didn't notice the mechanism by which it becomes invasive until it had invaded. Did some research--it's Colocasia esculenta var. aquatilis. Sends out very long slender runners that may be six feet or more from the mother plant before they root, but then they tend to root at nodes that develop along the runner between the main plant and the new one too. If I were afraid of snakes I'd be a basket case--they're all over out there. Well, so, you say, what does that have to do with Black Magic? I hadn't taken a close look at my supposed Black Magic recently, but went over to give it some fertilizer and move it where it'll get more sun so it'll be blacker, and WHOA!! I've got Black Runner! (I guess, that's supposed to be the difference.) It must be related to the aquatilis form, it's got runners, and already plants at the side of the pot, and I DIDN'T WANT another runner! But at least I found it before it got loose, and I have friends who'll be happy to get runners. Guess if that's the worst problem I have I'm pretty lucky, huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:26 pm 

Well, You could always send some of those runners this way :wink: You'd think that we'd have a lot of different ariods sold here, but not so, we barely see monsteras and philos in garden shops!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:40 pm 

Funny how much difference there is in what's available across the country. I don't get out to the various nurseries since my husband got so sick--well, I don't get out to much of anything! so I'm not really sure what's available here now, but I think I got my first Black Magic and some other good things locally. Now I'm very grateful for the internet, and gardenwatchdog, and the recommendations of friends. Guess I will have some extras at some point, tho' what's there is spoken for. Unless you're talking about that certified pest, C. esculenta var. aquatilis (Boy, doncha love those names?) Got my kids hooked on botanical names with Albizzia julibrisson, which is very distinctive and easy to identify and really impressed their friends! On the other hand, I remember once driving around some young men who were on school release from the penitentiary and intentionally using the common name when I saw a fall blooming bulb in full glory--'Oh, look! Naked Ladies!'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:08 pm 

Oh! that is too funny! funny my naked ladies haven't bloomed in a few years, they belonged to my g'g'mother. I guess they still have their clothes on :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:41 pm 

I think I would be more upset over the snakes :) Then again runners that can look like snakes don't sound fun either. I did see a bulb at W*mart last year that was labled black Magic. If you are brave and still looking you might want to check them out. Good luck finding the real Black Magic!

Foxy.