The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 pm 

I think everyone has already seen my list, and they know my favorites so far are the colocasias and alocasias. But, it's so hard not to like them all, even if I can't grow them all.

I'd really like to grow philos eventually, and maybe an anthurium or two. More arisaema and arums, of course, if I can get them started growing really good.

I received an amorphophallus konjac tuber from a friend this last fall, and am anxious to plant it come spring. Her plant came from her grandfather who had it for many, many years. They lived further North than I do, and he finally tired of digging it up every fall to winter over in the garage, and gave it to her. So, she had a pup to give to me. A true passalong aroid! Doubt this happens very often with aroids.

Here's my list so far:

Arum maculatum
Sauramatum vulgares
Typhonium venosum
Typhonium pedatisectum
Remusatis vivipara
Arisaema nepenthoides
A. triphyllum
A. serratum (seed)
A. dracontium (seed)
A. tortuosum (seed)

Alocasia Odora (seed)
A. plumbea nigra
A. wentii
A. macrorhiza (aka upright EE)

C. Black Magic
C. Illustris
C. esculenta (regular EE)
C. esculenta Fontanesii
C. esculenta 'Ruffles'
C. esculenta 'Black Ruffles'
C. esculenta 'Rhubarb'
C. esculenta 'Nancy's Revenge'
C. 'Fallax'

Xanthosoma 'Mickey Mouse'

Most of these have been obtained since last summer, except for the regular EE and A. macrorhiza which I have had for about 3 years now. Macrorhiza is now beginning to throw pups finally. It's leaves are getting pretty big, but all of the EEs had a late start last year because of our cooler, lengthy spring weather.

The Colocasia I am lusting after right now is Coffee Cups. But the price is just over the moon.

So, let me know about your Aroids!

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:08 pm 

I'm the Philo phan in the bunch! :lol:

Right now I'm growing:

Philodendron Glaucophyllum
Philodendron Pink Princess
Philodendron Painted Lady(thanks a very generous gardener)
Philodendron Mexicanum(same thanks as above)
Philodendron Scandens
Philodendron Scandens Lemon
Philodendron Micans
Philodendron Emerald Prince
Philodendron Brasil
Philodendron Moonlight
Philodendron Autumn
Philodendron Prince of Orange
Philodendron(I don't know the var., received it in a trade from a generous lady here!)

Monstera Deliciosa(gettin too big for it's britches!)
Monstera Frederichstahlii(sp.)- the Swiss Cheese one

Dieffenbachia Tropic Snow
Dieffenbachia Compacta
Dieffenbachia Star Bright
Dieffenbachia(I have no clue, but it's beautiful!)

Alocasia X Portora
Alocasia New Guinea Gold
Alocasia Polly

Aglaonema Silver Queen
Aglaonema Pride of Sumatra

Syngoniums(too many to name!)

I think that's it for the Aroid population in my place! :P

Of course, like Susan, there are others that I lust after:

Aglaonema Silver Bay
Aglaonema Donna Carmen

Philodendron Leopoldina(sp?)
Philodendron Florida aureo variegata
Philo Imbe albo vareigata whipple way
Philo Illsemanii variegata;
Syngonium wendlandii variegata Scrambled Egg

Colocasia Coffee Cup

Xanthomosa Lime Zinger

Monstera Deliciosa Albo Variegata

Hope my dreams come true this year!

GH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:47 pm 

I have:

Anthurium 'Dawn'
Philo oxycardium (2)
variegated philo oxycardium
red bristled philo
congo philo
selloum philo
an unknown philo vining type
philo xanadu (not doing too well)
golden pothos
Hawaiian pothos
monstera deliciosa

I really want a variegated monstera deliciosa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:52 pm 

I'm new at this so I don't have much and they are very small.
A. Hilo Beauty
X. Mickey Mouse
C. Black Marble
C. Chicago Harlequin
C. Illustris
C. Black Runner
C. Black Magic (are Runner and Magic the same?)
C. esculenta Ruffles (not sure, since it was unidentified)
Philodendron Selloum

I want to grow
C. Esculenta Elepaio
C. Yellow Splash
and
the new Alocasia Odora "Okinawa Silver" but just can't part with $65 for it :shock:
Kay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:42 pm 

xxx

Last edited by foxykitten350234 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:04 pm 

Wow - your lists are impressive, especially of the philos. Until I began growing some of the aroids, I had no idea there were so many philo species and hybrids, anthuriums as well. Some of the anthuriums are just absolutely astounding, too.

All of my plants are young plants, too, except for A. macrorhiza and the regular C. esculenta, and I don't have near the growth out of my two plants that I have seen around town. There is one group of C. esculenta planted next to an artsy building as I drive in to the office, and it is absolutely huge. The stems must reach 10' tall, and the leaves on it are about 3' long and 2' wide. A very crowded patch, that sure must be divided soon.

Kay, Black Magic and Black Runner are two different plants. Black Magic is a clumper, and Black Runner, as the name suggests, is a running plant that spreads by its underground tubers that act more like rhizomes.

I am supposed to be getting a New Guinea Gold, X. Lime Zinger, variegated Portodora, A. Shattered Glass, and a couple of others from a friend this spring.

I had to have the Black Ruffles. Someone posted a picture of it on the "other" site, and when fully grown, and grown well, it is a beautiful plant.

BTW, C. esculenta 'Ruffles', doesn't really show the ruffling until it is more mature. Mine hasn't started to show the ruffling yet either. But the foliage is a bluer-green that the regular esculenta, so it does have a different appearance, to me anyway. I just pray that my Thai Giant comes back this year.

Kay, keep a close eye out at Lowe's this summer. They had Yellow Spash last year. I should have picked it up, but didn't. It was in a 2-gallon pot for $15.

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:45 pm 

I probably have about 220 species from around 35-40 genera...Not sure I lost count at about 150..lol. I used to keep a list on Gardenweb trade page but it just got too tedious adding whenever I got new plants in...or when ones bit the dust (usually a pesky Alocasia!!!). I do have some oddities though, and love ALL Aroids with a special love for Climbers and Aquatics. And, of course I have LOTS to learn which is why I love coming to these forums...very glad to be here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:46 am 

Susan,
Thanks for clarifying the differences between Black Magic and Black Runner. I'll keep a lookout for Yellow Splash.
:)
Kay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:38 pm 

Oops - SC ARoider - I totally missed your post on this thread. I apologize. I know I saw you posting on the other Aroid website, now GW, but blueboard, or something like that. They were down for the longest time, and I never could get back into visiting again.

Anyway, welcome to the Garden Forum!

Susan (fka susanlynne48)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:36 pm 

Susan, thanks. Im raymikematt on Gardenweb and SCguy on blueboard. I dont think there is ANY activity on the blueboard one anymore and half the time GW wont let me sign in so Im very glad to be here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:05 am 

I'm feeling pretty high after getting an order this evening from Enid (NSE). First order for this season, but not of course the last! Got two Amorphs--albispathus and an unknown from India. I've had A. bulbifer for years and feel confident it will return, but not so much with A. peonifolius, which was new a couple years ago. Got Alocasia rugosa, cuprea, and zebrina reticulata--had the second and third ones before but for different reasons lost them. Also got Caladium bicolor var. rubicundum, which I had before and lost. Looks more like an 'elephant ear' than a caladium to me, and is just gorgeous. I'm very insecure about how many of the things I have will come back. Some, like Alo. mac, Colocasia cucullata, and a noid never left. (damaged, but not gone!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:54 am 

I traded for Caladium bicolor var rubicundum. It is lovely. I hope mine comes back this year. Very worth growing.
Kay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:29 am 

Kay, what is the hardiness zone on these species caladiums. I'm sure they differ, but I've been reluctant to try them because I thought they would *really* be pushing the zones.

I really want to try Phil. bipinnatifolium in the ground since I have heard it is likely to survive our winters with good mulching.

Can't wait to get my Amorph. konjac in the ground. But, I'm not taking any chances and will wait until last of April.

GE - you may have told me, but what is your zone? I want to try A. bulbifer and peaonifolius, but I have heard the prime reason for demise in these is a cold wet winter, which we often have here. This year was an exception. I expect the alocasias to have done very well in the ground this year.

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:21 pm 

GrowHappy, I just found the name to our unnamed Philo. It is P. radiatum.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:51 pm 

Susan,
I'm not sure what the hardiness zone is. I just dug it and brought it in with the rest of the caladiums. Better safe than sorry.
Kay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:43 pm 

Wonder why I didn't post my zone. It's 9--9a on the charts that divide the zones. Think I've read that bulbifer is fairly hardy and that peonifolius isn't, and I worry about the wet winter for it. Sometimes I think that this sort of border-line rating is harder than a more clear-cut 'you've gotta get that in if you want to keep it' zone would be. Most caladiums are 'sort of' hardy here, but if you don't take 'em up and store them they'll slowly dwindle away. That particular one doesn't go dormant if it's kept warm enough, I've read, and does well in the house (if you have room!) Don't think it would do well left in the ground. Can't even remember what particular method I used to murder the last one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:32 am 

I believe A. peaonifolius is hardy to zone 8, which is why I was considering it as a plant for my backyard. I can push to zone 8 with good mulching. At least with A. bulbifer, if you have a flowering size that produces bulbils, you can rely on having bulbils to propagate.

Kay, I'm sure you did the right thing. I think even the species caladiums are quite tender. If I ever break down and purchase one, it will be grown in either a pot that I can bring in or if I plant it in ground, I will dig them up and store indoors over winter.

GE - I think the konjacs have to be a certain size to flower, but I'm not sure how big the tuber has to be. Some of them can get quite large, as in 20 lbs or so.

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:24 pm 

Whoo!! I was out planting some new things and looked over where some other things were coming up, and thought 'what is that weird rusty broken whatever over there?' and then realized it's a konjac bloom! Whee! My first! What'll be next? I love spring!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:27 pm 

xxx

Last edited by foxykitten350234 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:36 am 

Fantastic, GE! Wish you could post a pic of it! I can't wait to get mine planted. I may go ahead and do it this weekend. It's been dry enough that I don't really need to worry about it rotting. However, I may go ahead and put it in a pot, just in case. Keep us posted on its progress.

Do you know how big the tuber is?

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:47 pm 

No--just planted it last year and I don't remember how big it was but I figured it'd be a longer before it bloomed. I think I got it from Brent and Becky's Bulbs--I like them a lot and have gotten very good things from them. This year I ordered some tc plants from them--my impression is they get the little ones in and grow them on for awhile before they send them out, so they won't be here 'til next month. I really think this is a great climate for these guys--I didn't really do as much for them last year as I would prefer to do. This year should be better. But some things I had read made me wonder if konjac would even grow here--some places say z8 and colder. Guess you never know 'til you try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:27 pm 

I think you will do very well with them in your locale, GE! Do keep us posted on the progress of your konjac. I got out today and planted my calla tubers and some more arum maculatum tubers. I'm so ready for spring, and everything is coming up here. However, next week is to be cooler for us - not frigid or anything, but 50s or so.

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:49 am 

i have quite a few aroids (had to google it :lol:)

monstera (probably a deliciosa)
anthurium
spathiphyllum
philodendron

don't have the exact id's jet

zantedeschia aetiopica

i once had a

Syngonium
Alocasia cuprea
and a zantedeschia elliottiana and a rehmanii