The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Bye bye sweet Bailey
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:25 pm 

Friday morning I had to say goodbye to my sweet Bailey. For over a year she had been battling kidney failure. Thursday evening she took a turn for the worse. In true Bailey style she went from all systems normal to not eating, missing her bathroom, excessive drinking, stumbling and eventually not being able to walk within a matter of hours.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:54 am 

I'm sorry for your loss. I know he had a good life with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 9:21 am 
Oh Foxy I'm so SO sorry!! And I know only too painfully well how quickly kitties leave us due to kidney &/or liver problems, having gone through that myself.

When it's time, think about adopting a new little soul into your life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:59 pm 

foxy,
so sorry to hear about bailey,

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:15 pm 

Thanks everyone.

Sorry you have had this experience too, Breezy. I understand this problem is becomming more common since our fur children are living longer. I have lost 2 out of 3 cats to kidney problems. The first one went down hill slowly. Bailey didn't waste any time. I can at least say she didn't suffer much at all and her passing was very peaceful. She made it clear she was ready to go and didn't have any objections to the process. She really helped me be sure I had made the right decsion.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:34 pm 
Yes, unfortunately that's true.

My vet(s) over the years have told me that kidney & liver problems are the Number 2 reason for cat deaths. Cancer is Number 3. Number 1? Cats that are allowed outdoors. Parasites, disease, predation, automobiles claim more cat's lives than kidney, liver, & cancer rolled together. Go figure.

And yes, yes, I know that a whole crew of people will jump up & dispute that, but - whatever. The above info was dictated to me by my vets in New York back in the 70's, & is still being dictated to me by my current vets here in Virginia. Choose to do what you wish. My kitties stay indoors & are surprisingly happy. So odd that none of them are clawing at the doors & windows trying to get out. . . ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 4:49 pm 

Foxy sooo sorry to hear about Bailey :cry:

At least you know it was the right decision for her as I knew it was the right decision for my boy earlier.

Betty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:28 pm 

i'm so sorry for your loss! bailey was a beautiful kitty!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:13 pm 

Thank you Betty and Joclyn.

Joclyn, what you can't see in the picture is that Miss Bailey had a white bikini hidden under that velvety black coat. It was so cute when she would roll on her back and show it off.

Breezy, you will get no arguments out of me. All my kitties are indoor babies. Bailey wouldn't even consider walking out an open door. Cashew would scratch at the door from time to time, but all he wanted was to be chaperoned to a safe piece of concrete so he could roll on it. I did have one escape artist, but I refused to give in to her desire to roam free.

So far I have lost two to kidney failure and one to cancer. I have no intentions of loosing any to the great outdoors...it is such a senseless and preventable loss.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:13 pm 

i did notice the white spot...

i agree, no 'great outdoors' for any of my kitties...my first cat lived to be 17 and was only ever outside to go to the vet's. she had kidney failure too...

most cats that i've known lived to be at least 15 and they were all indoor-only. any that were allowed to go outside didn't live much past 5 or the most 7.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:48 pm 

Another late condolence for your loss of Bailey, Foxy. I'm sorry! I cannot imagine. It's hard to lose one of your kids. :cry:

My George is in indoor guy, too...except when hubby takes him out for a walk on the leash! (You should see the neighbors talking & pointing!) Or we take him on vacation with us! :D Our pets give us good memories, don't they?!

Here he is with one son while on vacation in Oregon last month:
Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:25 pm 

Thank you, Rosemarie. Great shots of George strutting his stuff on a leash! :D I have been tempted to take Teddy out on a leash, but we have been having a dreadful time with the ticks around here. I know I could medicate him against fleas and ticks, but I'm feeling a little over protective lately.

Thanks for the smile!

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:18 am 
Yes - this is by far the very highest tick population we've experienced since moving to VA 14 years ago.

I'm pulling off the dogs (& myself) every single day, & my dogs don't run loose, they're leash-walked. The other day, & I kid you not, I found 11 (yes, ELEVEN) ticks crawling or attached to ME. Talk about the stuff of which horror movies are made.

And I refuse to use the chemical protections as well. I don't like the idea of them on my animals 24/7. Not to mention that I don't want to end up with a dead cockatoo, who sometimes "grooms" the dogs as they pass by.

I'll just continue to try to be a uber-thorough daily groomer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:39 am 

Glad you liked the King George pix, Foxy! :) I would try to get one of him when out in our back yard jungle, but all you'd see is the leash! :P

Ticks...Yikes! I've never come across them & hope I never do. My sis warned me about them before we took off on vacation. Makes my skin crawl thinking about them. Eleven, Breezy? ONE would send me over the edge. :? :shock:

Last weekend, when we were getting ready for the trip to pick up the horses (without the furry boys), we turned around to find this...

...saying "I wanna go too"!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:54 am 

Great pics, Rosemarie, especially that last one. Our cats just yowl in the car, so it wouldn't be a vacation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:25 pm 

George is one lucky kitty! To think, you weren't even sure about the whole idea of getting a cat. :)

Every time I mow the lawn I find at least one tick on me. When ever I come in from the yard I have to run a fine tooth comb through my hair...not an easy task with all this thick curly/wavey/frizzy hair. I found one under my pant leg that was so big I could feel him through the denim! I wonder why they are so bad this year.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 am 

Thanks Sharon & Foxy! :) I'm the lucky one! Yes, I did not want pets. Hmmm...I said I would not marry. I also said I would not have children. I also thought I had a black thumb with plants.

Now married w/2 children (+ 2 stepsons), a dog, a cat, a goldfish, 2 horses, 800+ garden plants, 400+ cacti & succulents, 3 dozen houseplants later...here I am! :D And so life goes. :P Guess I just needed a little shove here & there!

Your tick story makes my skin crawl! Eek!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:31 pm 

Quote:
Yes, I did not want pets. Hmmm...I said I would not marry. I also said I would not have children. I also thought I had a black thumb with plants.

I'm still reeling from the black thumb comment. Who would have thought!

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:15 pm 

Ha ha ha! My estranged sister, for one...thought that! She grew foliage only (no flowers-except for one African Violet) houseplants & and plants in pots outside. Had me watch them one time while she was gone. I watered them faithfully every day! :roll: :shock: :oops: I was never given instructions! But I was blamed for their demise. She was "right" about everything. Eek! I'd better not go there. That's a can of worms. :evil:

Once she was out of my life, I soaked up all information I could find on plants, so as not to kill them. That was a short dozen years now. :D