The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My (almost) free coop
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:30 am 

May not be too pretty but it's functional. Made mostly of stuff we had laying around after tearing that old barn down. I did buy the chicken wire and 2 sheets of plywood. I can't remember exactly but it's about 5 feet deep X 9 feet long and 5.5 feet tall inside with 5 nest boxes. Thats the wood colored thing sticking out of the back. The roof of the nests is on hinges so I can check on them or get the eggs out without going inside.

If it ever quits raining long enough, I plan to paint and try to make it a bit prettier. Any suggestions on climbing plants I can put around the outside of the fence that won't hurt the chickens if they eat them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:46 am 
Functionality & safety beat out beauty every time!! If it works for you & the birds, beautifying is secondary.

Once suggestions: While the "natural" roosts look very nice, they're not going to hold the birds once they're mature. Best roosts I've made were from plain pine 2x4 lumber with the sharp edges rounded slightly with sandpaper.

As far as what to plant - keep in mind that chickens will basically eat (or try to eat) anything & everything within their reach. I used to plant edible herbs around my coop run, but you could also try vegetables with non-poisonous foliage, like pole/runner beans, vining squash/gourds, etc., etc. The vast majority of ornamentals are not only not good for the birds, but also aren't good for you either. Remember - what goes into the birds also comes out of the birds (through the eggs as well as the poop!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:58 am 

they're probably eat it before it gets to climbing, but malabar spinach is both edible and pretty.

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:05 am 

Thanks guys. I do have some pole bean seeds that I bought last year and never got planted. I think I'll try to get them out this weekend and see if they'll come up.

I agree about the perches I put in for them. Made sense at the time but only 1 is left now. I'm hoping to get to that this weekend too. Too many things on my list! We'll see what I actually get done. Might just forget it all and go fishing!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:56 pm 

Looking good! That coat of paint and the plants will do wonders sprucing things up.

Foxy.