The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Big Momma
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:24 am 

Meet Big Momma, she is the only chick that lived thru the dog attack. I went out and got some more chicks and when they were ready, put them in the coop with her. She was great with them and the kids started calling her Big Momma.
Anyway, a few weeks later I brought home a couple of laying hens from an auction. (anyone know what kind they are?)
Big Momma is SCARED TOO DEATH of them! It's been 2 weeks and she hides from them all the time and runs like crazy when they come near. When they go outside she will come from her hiding place behind the straw bale and hit the feeder like she hasn't eaten in a week! I did notice them pushing her around the first day or 2 but nothing to be concerned about at all. Literally just pushing her out of the way and squawking at her. No wounds or anything like that. They don't pay any attention to the babies at all.
Will this fear go away when she gets bigger than them? I wonder if I need to take her out and put her in her own pen somehow. She was handled so much as a chick that she thinks she is human and wants to be held and petted and sit on your shoulder. Too cute!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:37 am 
Personally, I never mix chickens of widely disparate ages. I'd definitely have mom & her adopted chicks in a home of their own due to health & safety issues - especially since you never know what auction chickens might be carrying.

As far as what breed your layers are, do you know approximately how old they're supposed to be? From your pics they look young &/or molting. In that case they could be anything depending on the above. Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshires, Red swimming Links or a similar hybrid, or just barnyard "mutts".