The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mr. Bitey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:18 pm 

Here's my new pet, a tiger salamander rescued from the bait shop. The best part is he even eats bullfrog tadpoles--yay!

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:45 am 

That is one interesting looking creature. Does he have a name?

Disregard that question. I saw you already mentioned it.

Last edited by luv2grdn on Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:21 am 
Sure brings back memories. I grew up a true "tomboy" - always bringing home critters from the local pond, which my supportive parents always helped me with. Baby turtles, tadpoles, newts, salamanders, toads, frogs (& their various eggs) all made their way into various aquariums & vivariums. I'm always so very grateful that my parents encouraged rather than discouraged my nature interests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:02 pm 

We used to catch these as kids. We knew them as 'mud puppies'. I like his face. He looks like he's smiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:59 am 
Actually, while "Mudpuppies" do resemble the above salamander "tadpole" in appearance, they're totally different critters.

If the above is, in fact, a fairly recently hatched Tiger Salamander, eventually it will morph into a black-&-yellow striped landlubber - losing those feathery gills & becoming an air breather - & will need to be transferred to a moist terrarium setup. Once they reach adulthood, Tiger Salamanders only return to the water to breed.

"Mudpuppies", on the other hand, look pretty close to the above pic for their entire lives - except for increasing in size of course. They always have gills & they never leave the water. In fact, just like fish, they literally can't survive for very long outside of the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:13 am 

mr. bitey decided to grow up, it seems. i guess i'll be rearranging his pond into a vivarium now!

you see both tiger salamander (Ambystomatids) and Proteid salamanders (the ones that stay gilled) sold as mudpuppies, but if you count the toes on the hind limbs, you can differentiate between the two: Proteids have 4 and tiger salamanders have 5. either one is fun!

i think it'll be a week before he loses his gills completely.

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:56 pm 

How's Mr. Bitey doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:41 pm 

Mr. Bitey grew up completely and dug himself a hole under a rock in the substrate. it's getting hot in tucson so he can't be kept outside anymore...so i gave him to a vivarium enthusiast who couldn't believe he came from a bait shop :)
from talking to the lady, i'm sure he's still fat and happy. as an adult salamander, he's got a bit of pattern, but not as vivid as some of his relatives.

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:00 pm 

Ah, glad to hear he's doing well. Salamanders have always interested me, i'd love a pet axolotl. Not that our native newts aren't nice but they're a little on the small side by comparison, well, the ones you can handle legally at any rate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:05 am 

He sounds like one spoiled salamander. It's good you found a place for him. Like Phil, I have newts around.

Your wedding month is coming up fast. Are you ready? I hope all goes well for you and yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:10 am 
Yes, he does sound like one lucky little guy.

Growing up, I always had Eastern Newts (both aquatic & Red Eft land stage) as pets. Was absolutely horrified when, on an upstate NY camping trip, discovered that freshwater fisherman used them as BAIT. Almost tossed my cookies watching them put the poor little LIVE things on their hooks. Yuck.

Am surprised that Tiger Salamanders are still used for that purpose, as I believe they're endangered in a fair number of locations. When pollution hits the waterways, the amphibians & fish are the first to go.