The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:50 pm 
I got spoiled from our NY days when the hounds got long walks on the gravel & asphalt & thus kept their nails short without any help from me.

Here in VA, with our acreage & long gravel/dirt roads, the dogs get Dracula claws at the speed of light, & I HATE cutting them. I have it done by the vet when an appointment coincides with claw-time, but would love to be able to keep them in shape without cutting. Hubby found the following website, & it certainly looks interesting. I especially like the adjustable "guard" that keeps you from grinding off too much.

http://www.peticure.com/

Any thoughts, experience, ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:14 pm 

i saw something about this product recently - some talk show or maybe it was a spot on the news...

looks interesting and very easy to use! and if it really works, that's great for you dog owners!

i have ferrets and i have to clip regularly. it's not something i ever had to worry about with the cats (i've always had the front claws taken out and the back never seemed to need anything done) so, i'm always a bit nervous about getting the quick. at least with the ferts, their claws are clear so it's easy to see...i don't know if i could clip a dogs claws - i'd be way too worried about going too far!!

any way you could set up an area with concrete/rocks/stones that they could do some bit of exercise on?? it wouldn't deal with the issue completely - would keep the need for clipping down a bit though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:26 pm 
LOL - unfortunately Joclyn, there's no way we could - or would - set up a concrete or stone "compound" area for the dogs. In fact, I doubt they'd enjoy it. Sort of sounds like a prison yard.

What we had in NY was just a natural setup where they got several hourly+ walks per day on the roads. Can't do that here - & I'm certainly not putting in a roadway on my farm for the dogs.

It'll be cheaper to buy the grinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:48 pm 

Thanks for posting this info. I haven't seen this product, but I like the sounds of it if it isn't all hype. I used to trim our dog's claws, until I hit the quick one time. I think I lost some hearing that day. :lol: She has dark claws, so I can't see it, plus she's skittish any way. I've used the dremel sander, but it's slow and puts out so much dust, plus catches her hair no matter how careful I am and now she's scared of it.

I trim our cat's claws all the time with no problems.

I'll call the place where we get our pet food and see if they'd stock it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:07 pm 
I particularly like the "guard" that comes with the "Elite" version that keeps you from grinding too far. I think that would pay for itself.

The smaller $29 version won't do it for me since all my dogs are larger than that. But do think I'll be going for the larger "Elite" one. Just looks like the ticket for my gang.

Other brands (Oster, etc.) start at $49 & don't come with a guard, so this may just be the best buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:41 am 

I saw this product advertised on TV. My first concern would be the sound it makes. Since animals hear differently then we do I would think the noise this tool would make could be its downfall. Try to hear one running before buying.

I was a lucky dog owner. My pooch had the luxury of living in the country and had a groomer living next door. He was baithed, fluffed and had his nails clipped as needed. I highly recomend having a groomer as a neighbor :wink:

When it comes to clipping cat claws I'm an expert, but dog claws... I'm totaly clueless.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 am 

Foxy, my dog didn't mind the noise of the dremel tool and I suspect this tool would be quieter.

Lucky you to have had a groomer next door!

Our first 2 dogs were walked on pavement every day, so we never had to do their claws. That was before kids and when we lived on a city lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:27 am 

I came across the following discussion this morning when I was looking around for feedback on them. I haven't gone through all of it yet to see how the problem was resolved. http://groomblog.blogspot.com/2007/12/p ... omers.html

I'd just get the guard for a dremel, but the one I have is powered by a foot pedal and isn't the easiest to use as a nail filer because of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:02 pm 
Thanks for that Blog link Luv2gardn - very interesting reading.

I do think that a lot of those folks complaining are REALLY impatient. I mean, quite a few tv & online companies can take 8+ weeks to ship something. Some of those whiners were pissed when the item wasn't in their sweaty little hands in 8-10 days.

So now I guess I'll just have to decide if I just want to buy the Peticure guard & a Dremel tool (I'm neither a woodworker nor a crafter), or just bite the bullet & buy a complete Peticure Elite. It does sound like the Peticure might be a bit quieter than a regular Dremel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:30 pm 

I don't order a lot off the net, but I've never had to wait that long for anything, usually just a week or 2. The fact that the co. took their money long before shipping wasn't good. Any way, I just posted it for anyone to read to decide for themselves. It seems they're working out some of the bugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:57 am 

Did you ever get it? If so, how do you like it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:24 pm 
No - haven't ordered it yet. The blog-link you provided still shows folks who ordered it in April still waiting for it as of June 2nd.

I may just order the protective head-piece & buy a Dremel tool. At least the Dremel can do double duty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:24 am 

Thanks.

I couldn't find the protective head piece on their site. I just found the whole nail trimming unit. Do you have a link to it? At least I think that was the nail trimming unit discussed on this thread. I'm too sleepy to think right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:10 am 
Just go to the Peticure website I linked in my original message & click on "Purchase Products". The "Peticure Safety Shield" is at the bottom left of the page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:56 am 

Thanks. Sorry I was too tired to just do that in the first place!!

I have an old dremel tool, so I'd have to check to see if it's one that would work with it. It's a variable speed with a foot pedal, so it's awkward to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:35 am 
Don't know if that would work. Apparently the shield only fits certain Dremel models. I think the website has info on that as well.

We plan to get one of the portable Dremel tools if we decide to go this route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:11 pm 

I don't know either, but it's worth checking. I saw the list of the ones that will work and I know what to look for on the one I have. I doubt it will, but worth a look. A cordless one would be nicer.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:14 pm 

My parents have one of these peticure things. It works well, but does have a little stink due to filing the nails. It is pretty quiet and the dogs don't like it but are not fighting it either. Also, even with the guard on it, you can't help but feel like you are inhaling the nail dust. Also, I am guessing that the nail bed could get hot if you don't pay attention to it, from the friction.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:53 am 

How big are their dogs? I'd think it would work best on small dogs.

They say not to leave them on one nail for a long time because of the heat buildup.

I'm still debating whether or not to just get the head to use on a dremel. I keep hoping it will show up in stores too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:40 am 
Well, there are now 3 different brands of this tool available - "Peticure", "Petipaws", & one more whose name escapes me at the moment.

While Peticure & the unnamed still seem to only be available via online or phone, "Petipaws" has been popping up all over the place around here - Walgreens Drugstores & WalMart in particular. Hubby broke down & bought one at Walgreens last month ($19.99 I believe) but we haven't used it yet. As soon as I give it a whirl on my coonhound, I'll report back.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:49 pm 

My cousin bought one in the store recently. She has been trying to use it on her small dogs. The problem she is experiencing is their nails are so dainty that they slip down between the sanding wheel and the guard.

Foxy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:07 pm 

I have only tried it on small dog nails. It did go well. I hold the nail with my finger tips so that it does not get sucked down into the guard. Between the two small dogs, the smaller one with the tiny nails is easier. The bigger the nail, the longer it will take and it gets a little miserable. Not too bad, though.