The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:04 pm 

Foxy et al,
I just reinherited a cat which we gave to our friends. The wife died suddenly and the husband is unable to take care of the cat since he'll be away for quite a while. I need to readjust this cat to the family. Shofar Kitty is about 2 years old. I have a feeling her mama will not be happy with the reapperance of her daughter, nor will her siblings. However she is fixed and a great huntress, which is a good addition since mice season is about to begin.
She'll be here in about an hour. I threw out all the other cats with hopes she'd remember her old home. She was an outside cat where she was though.

How long should I keep her inside before letting her out to roam? How do I keep the other peons from revolting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:27 pm 

I may not be the fountain of wisdom you were hoping for :oops: When ever I have introduced a new kitty I just turn the new kid loose in a part of the house away from the old kitties. The new kid starts sniffing around and checking the place out. The old kids are happily hanging out elsewhere without a clue. At some point they end up meeting. New kid gets hissed at, I comfort the old kid who is probably on the verge of a break down due to the new discovery, the old kid often runs off in a huff and then I comfort the new kid. Give everyone lots of attention and by all means don't make a big deal over hissing. When they don't get reactions to their hissing fits they tend to calm down. I always start with kittens. I find the kittens are pretty tough when it comes to being hissed at. I'm not too sure how new addition adult cats react to this though. Simply put, I let them speak their peace to the new kid...let them know who is top cat so to speak. Now if claws came out then I would step in right away.

I would like to note that everything I have read on the subject doesn't agree with my method outlined above. I still stick with my method since it has worked well for me. I seem to have well adjusted cats who have not suffered physical injuries.

As for when to let kitty outside... I thought you knew me better then that! :o My answer is never :D I have no words of wisdom at all on when, how or why to let a kitty outside. My only guess is to at the very least wait until kitty has adjusted to his new/once old home again. I have heard of stories of kitties running off only to end up showing up at their old homes. I would think you might need to give things enough time for kitty to think of your house as home again.

As for how to keep "the other peons from revolting"... keep their schedule as normal as possible, keep their food the same and give them lots of love and attention. They will hiss, holler and moan, but will eventually get over it :) Good luck and keep us posted!

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:23 pm 

Thanks Foxy,
Mama Kitty is still having fits, Handful doesn't care, and Purrum has her britches in a bind. The other cats are all outside and are oblivious to her presence. Shofar has taken up residence in the boys' room. She seems to jump at loud noises, but she's adjusting to lap cat status again. It's possible Shofar witnessed the death of her mistress. :(
Unfortunately, I can't keep the cat's inside, my house is too small for 5 people, much less 7 or so cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:54 pm 

Mama Kitty and Purrum my have their noses out of joint for a few days. As long as you don't make a big deal out of their hissing they will learn their protests are getting them no where.

Poor Shofar :cry: She has been through a lot. At least she has found a quite place to hide out while getting readjusted. She will most likely get past the loss of her owner even if she witnessed it. I had one cat that saw the demise of his fur family and was captured by humans shortly there after. He seemed to recover from his ordeal quickly. Fox witnessed the loss of his big brother Cashew who he adored. He clearly mourned the loss for a month or two, but now is doing fine.

I forgot to mention in my last post, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Foxy.