The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: My Aquarium Makes Me Happy!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:50 am 

i was playing with my camera and thought i'd share. these are pictures of my planted 65 gallon community of mostly rainbowfish. the stand and hood were made by my fabulously crafty fiance!

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:26 am 
What an absolutely GORGEOUS tank!! Thanks for the pics.

I've had aquariums for as long as I can remember. My grandfather used to breed fish in his Queens, NY, apartment way back when. Had an entire room devoted to them.

These days I just have a 29-gallon tank with 2 Clown Loaches that I've had for 10 years (they're both about 5" long now & are my pride & joy - lol), & 3 Silver Hatchets & a Zebra Danio that I've had for around 4-5 years. A few Platies have come & gone during that time as well.

Because our living room is basically wall-to-wall floor-to-ceiling glass + skylights, the algae is nearly impossible to keep up with, otherwise I'd have a much larger tank going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 am 

breezy,
have you tried olive nerite snails? they're normally sold for saltwater tanks but are THE BEST snails for freshwater, hands down--and probably one of the best things i've put in my tank so far.
they don't reproduce in freshwater (but will lay little eggs) or eat live plants. one year i went on vacation and my neighbor overfed my tank. we get west sun in that room so i came home to a big brown patch of algae. after dropping in 8 of those guys, that algae patch was completely gone in a few days and i haven't had any problems since.
you can see one cleaning the allligator decor in the pictures. they really don't get very big, although i don't know if your loaches would chomp them....and hey, share some pictures of your tank!

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:03 am 
Unfortunately Ming, Clown Loaches LIVE to eat snails. Snails are their most favorite food in the whole world. In fact, my two big beauties LOVE it when I bring home new aquarium plants that have snails on them. So snails are out - lol!!

After doing some new research, I'm thinking of overplanting my tank. I've read that if you plant your tank with more plants than you think it needs, the extra plants use more of the nutrients that algae would normally use & the algae pretty much starves. Not all of it - but most of it. I'd be perfectly happy with "most of it".

I also plan to pick up a few more platies when the local fish places get in healthy shipments. Platies love picking at algae, are colorful, & peaceful. Unfortunately, their lifespans - like a lot of common livebearers - aren't very long, even under the best of conditions. But I still enjoy them. While I've also considered Swordtails & Mollies, from my past experiences, Swordtails can be quite aggressive, & Mollies really need salt in their water, which the rest of my tank residents can't abide.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:31 pm 

Nice pictures. You do have a talented guy. We tried a fish tank when we were first married, but kept killing them, so we gave up. It would be a lot easier now with all the info. on the net, but I don't think we will try again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:29 pm 

Looks like a very colourful collection you've got there, i love rainbow fish, the madagascan rainbow in particular, they're very fond of vine weevil grubs :twisted:

When it comes to algea eating have you tried a plain old Pleco?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:30 pm 
No - I don't want to introduce any other bottom-feeders or sucker-types (Plecos, Chinese/Siamese Algae Eaters, etc., etc.) since my 2 Clown Loaches have done so well on their own over the past 10 years. I pretty much want to keep them by themselves, especially since it's a pretty small tank. Even without the loaches, a Pleco would outgrow a 29-gallon tank uber-fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 pm 

Well, for a smaller tank something like ancistrus or even ottocinculus might be more suitable, I had a nice white/yellowish peckoltia with dark stripes but i'm not sure he was ever that fond of algae.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:01 pm 
Actually, when we first set up the tank & the Clown Loaches were tiny little things, I did try a few Oto's in with them, but for whatever reason, they never lasted long. I don't know why, since obviously my other fish have been enjoying long lifespans.

Now that the loaches are so large (one is close to 6"; the other 5-1/2"), I'm not sure Oto's would be safe with them. Once they reach a certain size, Clown Loaches have LARGE mouths, & pretty much seem to consider anything that fits inside those mouths is food (except algae - lol!).

Another drawback is that Oto's are hard to come by around here these days. Once in a blue moon they appear - on purpose or by accident - in local stores; sometimes just marketed as "Algae Eaters". You have to be a good fish detective these days to end up with what you want - lol!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 pm 

yeah, those loaches are the tricky part. i just have to throw this link in:

http://www.azgardens.com/algae_eating_others.php

it's a great site! however, i'm not convinced all those fish in there will do the trick...i think they may prefer other foods before hair algae!
i long ago got rid of any lurking predators (sorta regret not having the bichir eel anmore), but, ironically, the rainbowfish are now big enough to eat neon tetras :(

-ming

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:57 am 
Yes - definitely an interesting site. But boy, those folks sure have a lot of rather uptight rules & commandments (all in their favor rather than the poor customer). I particularly dislike the fact that they don't guarantee their plants won't come with "hitchhikers". All the reputable online tropical fish suppliers I've come across seem to guarantee their plants free of snails & other critters. Then there's the "box fee" (in addition to the shipping fee), all the "minimum order" requirements ("to make it worth their while", they say), & other seemingly convoluted stuff. They've even got a whole page devoted to how to "properly" contact them for customer service - lol!! But the pics & descriptions are interesting, if a trifle inaccurate, as you say.

Here's an interesting site I've been thinking about placing a plant order with (they don't sell fish). They have a nice varied selection, & their prices & "rules" are extremely reasonable. Plus, the plants are guaranteed not to have any tank-unfriendly little friends hiding in them.

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:05 pm 

Great tank Ming. Looks very nice and healthy.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:04 am 

Great looking tank, Ming! Your fiance did a wonderful job on the stand and hood.

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:13 am 

I must admit i've only ever seen ottos on our local independant aquarium shop, the stupidly over the top outfits attached to garden centres tend to favour hundreds of golden sucking loach, not bad fish but not all that keen on algae and with some propensity to chew on tank mates while they sleep. :shock:

I see they've got Garra Pingi Pingi on their algae eaters list, i haven't been able to find one since ours, affectionately named Mr. Pingi, leaped out of the unattended bucket during a tank move :(

As everyone else has noted by this point, the tank stand and hood look extremely well made :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:24 pm 

Ottocinclus or Hong Kong Plecos would have been great if you add 6 at a time. No one really wants to harm them nor do they fin nip, de-scale or beat up anyone. They wouldn't have done much harm to your plants either as long as you fed them a little each week.Some of these things are seasonal and you must talk to a small shop and wait till they can find them for you. Guess you have to get to know some shop owners for them to be sure you will take your quota on delivery day.

BarbImage