The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:13 pm 

Quote:
First off, I assume that when you say you have 4 female "black swimming link" hens, you really mean "black sexlinks"?

I am guessing she meant sexlinks but put a space between se* and links and you cannot use the word se* because it turns into swimming (to keep it clean, ha).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:13 pm 
Ahh - goodness!! Never thought of that. Difficult to discuss raising livestock without using the word "you know what" - lol!!

Just tried it & you're absolutely right - "you know what" does print out as "swimming" - LOL!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:57 pm 

aww they are so cute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:02 am 

Yes, I did put a space between the words and it turned to swimming links. HAHAHA! I am a newbie tho so it is entirely possible that I will make some mistakes even more silly sounding than that!

Thanks Breezy! I had kinda thought that about the breeding but wasn't sure. Makes sense tho. I'm getting myself really confused on which chicks are what! I am ASSUMING (and you know what they say about that)...
4 of the 5 orpingtons are female because 1 of them has the red on his head and red waddles.
The black ones are sexlinks, that's what the sign said...
The little brown one said it is Rhode Island Red, I'm beginning to wonder if he's a she or she's a he. Guess I'll find out in time. If one is starting to comb and waddle out tho and they are the same age I'm thinking that if any more were males I'd know by now?
I'm a bit disappointed with the store where I got these. The lady working there told us they were all pullets which means they are babies. I assumed since the signs said pullets that they were all female but knew that usually they were sold as straight run.
Maybe I'll get lucky and only have the 1 rooster anyway!
I'll keep you posted!
~sharon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 am 
Yes - chicks sold as pullets "should" be young hens, but remember that even the most reputable hatcheries can only guarantee around 90% sexing accuracy at best. Many only guarantee 80-85%.

"Straight Run" birds should run approximately 50-50 males/females, but I have yet to come across anyone who's ordered straight-run who hasn't ended up with far more roosters than hens. While I don't like to cast aspersions against the hatchery industry, it's difficult not to imagine that 50-50 getting a little "human" help gearing that more towards 70-30 - especially since, except for meat birds - pullets normally sell for a higher price, double or more.

As far as being 100% sure about what you have, you'll probably have to wait until the birds are a bit older before you do. I remember buying a few young Rhode Island Red hens once from a local farmer. Whlie still young, they were fully feathered & all had the same comb & wattle development (remember, hens have a small amount of wattle as well). I confidently selected the 3 birds I wanted, sure of my "ability" (ha ha) to have chosen all hens. Two months later I had 2 lovely hens & one gorgeous ROOSTER - lol!! He turned out to be the nastiest piece of feathered goods I've ever owned. Would jump up & spur you from stem to stern if you weren't paying attention. I ended up giving him away to a family that had just gotten a flock of hens & wanted a rooster. They loved him, but I did make his personality PERFECTLY CLEAR to them before I'd let them adopt him.