Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Rock
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:27 pm 

Here is Rock. He is our sweet guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 pm 

He is a sweet looking guy. He doesn't look too sure about the bear,though. :) How old is he?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:58 pm 

luv2grdn wrote:
He doesn't look too sure about the bear,though. :) How old is he?

He is 5 years old. Rock is so dear. He would put up with anything any of the family asks of him. But, he does not really enjoy having anything on him. He will lay next to you in bed, if you ask him to, but when you fall asleep he will go to his chair and go to bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:17 pm 
What an absolutely lovely Dobie!!

Even tho I love all 4 of my dogs (Husky, Walker Coonhound, little Heinz57/hound mix, & Dobie), Dobies have always had a special place in my heart. The one we have now is our 3rd, & all 3 over the years were adopted. Our first was a black & tan that we adopted from an elderly friend that was moving into a senior community & couldn't take her. She lived to the ripe old age of 14. The 2nd was a born-deaf blue & tan that we adopted from a local NY animal rescue league & also lived to 14. Our current black & tan was adopted from a local VA pound, & is now a little over 12, but still going strong.

A very loving, obedient, & extremely intelligent breed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:45 am 

Rock is a handsome fella!

Foxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:45 am 

What a beautiful boy, Kmerrifi! I love his coat - does it ever look shiny!

When we took our Banshee to puppy classes, there was a lady there with a doberman, and let me tell ya, that dog turned a lot of heads. They seem to have this "air" about them.... this very dignified, intelligent presence. My sister has been wanting one for years.

Did you have to do the popscicle stick thing to his ears?

Chickadee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:48 pm 

Chickadee wrote:
What a beautiful boy, Kmerrifi! I love his coat - does it ever look shiny!

Did you have to do the popscicle stick thing to his ears?

Chickadee

Thank you. His coat does not need to be washed, he does not get stinky or really dirty. The hairs are so coarse (but very satin smooth and soft).

Actually, this picture makes his ears look funny. He has his full ears, they are just flipped back in the picture. We got him from the Humane Society when he was a pup, he already had his tail docked by then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:58 pm 
While I know that the ear issue is a dicey one, & I'd never have it done myself, I do see the reasoning behind the tail docking.

Our blue & tan girl came to us with a full undocked tail, & it was nothing but trouble. Dobie tails are thick, strong, & relatively thin-skinned. Our dog was forever whacking hers open against coffee tables, door jambs, etc., spattering blood everywhere. It was truly a nuisance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:39 pm 

Quote:
I do see the reasoning behind the tail docking.

I would not have done it, but it is true about the issues with a big, strong tail. We have a dog that is a large mixed breed. He has a huge, thick tail. We call it the "tail of death." He knocks everything down. Also, when he is standing next to someone and he gets praised, he will beat the person with his tail (without knowing that he is torturing someone).

So, I am a little glad Rock has his tail docked, but I would not have been able to do it.

In terms of the ears, I would have no reason to do that. I don't know why people do it (really, I don't know why). I don't want to get anyone upset, so don't tell me why people do it. I just figure if someone does that they have a reason and I don't have a reason so I won't.

I love floppy ears anyway! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:47 pm 
With Dobies, it's not just the issue of a big strong tail that knocks things down, it's the issue of the thin skin.

I wouldn't care much about the knocking things down, it was the issue of the dog's tail splitting open every time it smacked anything hard - like a table, wall corner, etc., etc. Everything was always a bloody mess. For that reason alone I'd definitely go for tail docking.

As far as the ears, while I do think the erect ears give the dog an aristocratic look, I'd never do it just for my vanity. My first Dobie had erect ears, but I adopted her as an adult & she already had them. My 2nd two were puppies & had floppy ears, which of course I left as is. Ears don't make the dog - lol!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:59 pm 

Our other big dog split his tail once. It looked like something out of a nightmare. Blood was all over the walls. We didn't know what it was at first, so I ran to my husband and made sure he wasn't missing an appendage.

"Ears don't make the dog" -- so true. But they would look funny without them :wink: