The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What's yours like?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:50 pm 

Got your attention...Ha!
Misery here, looking for some company...
It is so hot and dry here in Raleigh. I came home from vacation to find most of the garden...crispy..{sniff}.
I have 7 rain barrels. Two days ago we had rain and each were filled..but no matter...it's a long road back from crispy.
It's just so sad outside right now.
I have mulched my mulch. I am picking tomatoes hot off the vine...literally.
Sigh...

Post subject: Re: What's yours like?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:33 am 

Hey Susan,

Same situation here in Richmond, VA. Having to water the garden every 2 - 3 days or all my plants get really droopy. Tomatoes are finally coming in and like yours, they are very warm off the vine. But every so much better than the stuff they sell at the grocery store. Well worth the time & effort on my part.

Planted some sunflowers this year and have had a great time watching them grow & turn with the sun. All have finally bloomed & one should be ready to harvest in a week or two.

Squirrels got a lot of my apples this year. But at least it was the ones that were too high in the tree for me to get. Was able to get most of the ones in reach before the squirrels & birds got into most of them. Now trying to make sure the "bushy-tailed" rats stay out of the garden. I have some nice watermelons & pumpkins that I'm hoping to harvest before they find them.

Have really enjoyed watching the volunteer pumpkin plants that have been growing in my compost piles. Some have bloomed, but none have born fruit yet. But they do make the piles more pleasing to look at. At least I hope my neighbors think so.

Hoping for some cooler days so that I can finish harvesting my outdoor worm bin so that I can rebuild it for this coming Fall. Hoping to get LOTS of throw-away pumpkins & other veggies from the vendors at the State Fair this year. Usually give a bucket to the people demonstrating cookware. On a good day each person may fill their bucket. My worms can't wait for me to get home each night and feed them all the good stuff I collect.

Well, take care & try to stay cool. And best of luck with your garden.

Promote Global Worming!

Post subject: Re: What's yours like?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:37 pm 

We've had the opposite problem here, a lack of sun and heat, but I'm not going to complain. I was able to get a lot done outside and I'm just now having to do more watering since summer decided to show up recently. It usually gets nice in early July, but this year it just kept raining or just being cloudy and cool up until a few days ago. We'd have a day here and there where it got up to the upper 70s or low 80s, but it wouldn't last long.

Our farmers' markets are low on produce unless they come from the east side of the Cascades. Just a few local tomatoes starting to come in. I won't get much off my tomatoes since I put them in late. It was just too wet and cool earlier to put them in.

Stay cool!