The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Omnivore's Dilemma
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:53 am 

This is a book I just read. I found myself getting quite agitated as I tried to get through the first part. It talked about the history of agriculture, CAFO's (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations) and how $$ is, as usual, what it's all about.
Then the book gives a bit of a reprieve (thank goodness...literally) with a visit to Polyface Farms in Virginia.http://www.polyfacefarms.com/
Please do yourself and our environment a favor and do both...read the book and visit the website of Polyface Farms.
Then.... think hard about what you are feeding yourself and your family.

Post subject: Re: The Omnivore's Dilemma
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:59 am 

I really enjoyed this book - especially the "visit" to Polyface. I found it interesting that the owner was able to boil down what he actually did saying, "I'm a grass farmer". He knew that the health and welfare of his animals was dependant on the grass he grew.

I also liked his comment that "You can't ever do only one thing". He knew he could make more money if he simply raised more chickens and sold more eggs, but more chickens meant more nitrogen on the soil and could contaminate water down the line. So, he did the math and worked out how many chickens he could keep while keeping the environment safe.

I also appreciated that over the years he's been on the farm there, the soil has been getting deeper. Most farms strip the soil and it literally sinks lower. On Polyface, the way he farmed and his attention to detail, actually repaired the exhausted soils that the farm had had when the farm was first bought by his father. It shows that land can be rebuilt.