The Garden Forums

Dig In!
It is currently Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Summer Weather
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:47 pm 

I'm just curious how your summer weather has been. We've had a good year for cool weather crops! It has been cooler than normal for most of the season. The grass is just beginning to show some brown spots with no added water (we rarely water or fertilize it). It still needs mowing once a week. We've only had about 3 days that hit 90 and many days in the 70s. The farmers market has a lot of greens and no tomatoes other than hydroponic ones. Just not a good year for the heat loving vegies. But at least the rain let up in July.

Post subject: Re: Summer Weather
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:55 pm 

Hi luv2; We have had a very warm summer here in western NY. No tomatoes yet though was late getting them in but they are not far off some are just showing color change from green to pale green/yellow. We aregetting lots of rain the past couple days. I hope with the humidity that the LB don't get going again this year. Last year it was horrid on tomatoes and potatoes. I don' use any prevenative spray because of chems and vermi tea has no effect on the disease.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:25 am 

It's still on the cooler side here. I haven't used the AC at all, not that I ever use it a lot, but at least a couple of times a summer. We've had several weeks of cloudy mornings and sunny afternoons in the upper 70s, low 80s. Great weather for working outside, but I haven't been able to do much of that. People who planted tomatoes under tunnels are getting ripe ones now, even some of the long season heirlooms. I only planted one of those this year, which likely won't have any ripe fruits.

they're saying it might be a colder winter too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:35 pm 

Here in West Tennessee, we had a cool, wet spring. Even the early summer was a tad cooler and wetter than usual. But, someone cut the water faucet and the AC off about 2 or 3 weeks ago!! :shock: We've been having temps in the upper 90's and heat indexes of 110 and a bit higher! Within 2 steps of going outside, I look as though I just stepped out of the shower! But, I don't smell as good!!! :lol: WeatherBug says that the high for Tuesday is supposed to be 100!!! :shock:

This is the kind of crap that makes me wish I had a winter home in south Florida... and a summer home in the northern peninsula of Michigan!! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:36 am 

Hi All; We got another heat wave break the last couple days. Its 68 now outside at 10:33 am. When I first checked this early am it was 54 over night. That was refreshing to say the least. Now on the climb again. I like the good old summer time temps at 68-80 deg F sort of like my buddies the worms.

Last edited by lkittle on Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:29 pm 

Larry, I too like the warm temperatures of the summer. The cold and damp of our typical winter is H*ll on my arthritis!! But, this upper 90 and 100+ weather is deadly to me!! When it comes to doing outside "things," I can only do a very, very little... and, for very, very short periods of time right now!!

That said, I have learned to do something that helps me out. Because of mine and my wife's problems getting around, we got us a battery operated golf cart some time ago. When it gets so hot, I park that thing in the shade somewhere near me. I've got one of those cheap box fans that I keep plugged up and sitting on the passenger side of the cart. I also keep a soaking wet bath towel in the cart (while parked... of course). When I get too hot, I head for the golf cart, plop down in front of the fan, and drape the wet towel over my head. I leave the front of the towel (part in front of my face) open so I can breathe and air can circulate. I turn my head at about a 45 degree angle to the fan. As the air from the fan blows over the wet towel and into my face, it is almost like having air conditioning blow over me!!

The only time this did not work extremely well was the other day when the actual outside temperatures reached either 99 or 100!! The air that was hitting me in the face still felt as though it had come from an opened oven!!!

Sorry for the lengthy off topic. But, I thought there might be some other poor soul out there who like me could not take the heat. And, I wanted to share this with them so they might once again be able to do things... in short spurts... outside... like me!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 pm 

I just get in the pool when it gets that hot. :D. Although it gets too warm in it when we have consecutive hot days. Not this year! It's cloudy and cool this week since the fair is going. Happens just about every year. Great temps for working outside though, if I only had enough energy to do all I want to do. Maybe next year!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:01 pm 

Heck, on days like today and like what tomorrow will be, even going skinny dippin' don't help!!! :shock: